Eligibility & Criteria For Selection
A candidate for a Canadian Rhodes Scholarship must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (students who are attending a Canadian university on a visa are not eligible to apply);
- be domiciled in Canada;
- have been born after 30 September 1990 and on or before 1 October 1996; and
- have received an undergraduate degree before taking up the Scholarship.
Criteria for selection:
Selection Committees are seeking candidates who exhibit those qualities most esteemed by Cecil Rhodes, as expressed in his will:
- Proven intellectual and academic attainment of a high standard is the first quality required of applicants, but they will also be required to show integrity of character, sympathy for and protection of the weak, the ability to lead and the energy to use their talents to the full.
- York candidates should have:
- a cumulative academic average of at least 8.0 (after a minimum of 90 credits of an Honours program), and preferably no single course grade below 8.0 (please note: York is on a 9 point scale and an 8.0 is equivalent to an 'A');
- a substantial record of extracurricular accomplishment demonstrating significant achievement and capability at the leadership level;
- a record of involvement in activities and organizations which demonstrate a strong interest in caring for the disadvantaged;
- evidence of well-roundedness, in terms of community involvement, physical activity and anything else that demonstrates the whole person;
- a sound academic reason for wanting to study at Oxford and a clear and specific knowledge of what program would best fit the candidate's academic qualifications and career goals.
If you have any questions about applying to the Rhodes Scholarship, please contact the Office of the Vice-Provost, Students at firstname.lastname@example.org