Proposed new York University Campus in York Region
This summer, York University is leading the development of a dynamic proposal and submission to the provincial government, to build a new university campus that demonstrates the university's commitment and dedication to delivering an innovative, state of the art York University that will create an innovative knowledge hub in York Region.
The proposed York University campus will:
- Be home to 5,000 students within 5 years growing to 10,000 to 20,000 in 20 years
- Offer a wide range of degree programs including diverse professional programs that encourage research and innovation at all levels
- Host joint programs with Seneca College, creating innovative opportunities for new types of post-secondary programs
In 2013, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and University (MTCU) released its Major Capacity Expansion Policy Framework designed to ensure that more students have access to quality post-secondary learning closer to home.
York University immediately saw this as a unique opportunity to grow and to expand our already strong relationship with York Region - with a new university campus. Fundamental to York's proposal is that a new campus must support York University's mission and academic plan, and be fully funded by government and external partners.
York Region is the most populous municipality of its kind in North America without a university within its borders. York University has grown up over the past 55 years literally on York Region's doorstep.
This spring, York University invited municipalities in York Region to demonstrate how they would partner with the university in establishing and supporting a new university campus. At the end of this competitive RFP process, the university chose the City of Markham as its preferred municipal partner.
If selected by the Province the proposed York University campus will:
- Be built at Markham City Centre, in the midst of a busy urban centre, with easy access to transit, medical centres, major employers, and research centres.
- Play an important role in enhancing innovation, entrepreneurship, health, IT, literacy, education, culture and overall quality of life for students and the community.
We are confident that the Province will select York University and Markham to be the home for a new university campus in York Region.