2013-2014 Academic Year
What is UHIP?
UHIP is the University Health Insurance Plan in place for international students and others who are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).
What does UHIP pay for?
UHIP pays for eligible hospital services, physician services, osteopath and podiatrist services, ambulance, diagnostic, laboratory and x-ray services, dental surgery when performed in a hospital, out-of-province/Canada emergency care and repatriation at levels comparable to those received by Ontario residents under the OHIP. For more details visit www.uhip.ca.
Who is the UHIP insurer?
The UHIP insurer is Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Sun Life).
How much do I pay for UHIP?
The charge is $684 for 12-month single coverage. The charge can vary based on the length of your coverage and the number of your dependents and the length of their coverage. View this year's UHIP premiums.
Standard Single Coverage for 2013-14
|Academic Start||Length of Coverage||Premium Charge|
To enroll your dependents, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where do I go for medical help in Ontario?
In an emergency, telephone 9-1-1. In a non-emergency, telephone Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000, or visit a medical clinic.
Medical Clinics: Some clinics, such as the one in York Lanes on Keele campus, charge fees not covered by heath care plans. A list of clinics that do not charge fees to use UHIP is given below.
Bay College Medical & Lockwood Diagnostic
790 Bay St., Suite 108, Toronto (at College Street)
Doctor's Office, The- Jane & Finch Mall
3869 Jane Street (Downsview area)
Dufferin Family Care Centre
51 Gerry Fitzgerald Drive (near Steeles & Dufferin)
Sheppard Beecroft Medical Clinic
48 Sheppard Ave, West, North York (Yonge & Sheppard)
416-222-1477 (Call for an appointment.)
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave, Room A1 01, Toronto (north of Eglinton Ave. East)
(5-10 minute walk south from the Glendon Campus)
Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue,
Mount Sinai Hospital
600 University Avenue
Rouge Valley Health System
2867 Ellesmere Rd.
St. Michael's Hospital
30 Bond Street,
Brampton Civic Hospital - William Osler Health Centre*Humber River Regional Hospital - Finch Avenue Site*
2100 Bovaird Drive East,
2111 Finch Ave West,
* You can go to any location. Location nearest to YorkU is listed here.
The Scarborough Hospital
3050 Lawrence Avenue East,
3030 Birchmount Avenue,
The University Health Network
200 Elisabeth Street,
399 Bathurst Street,
610 University Avenue,
Counselling & Disability Services at YorkU provides a range of services, including personal counselling, group development workshops, learning skills training, support and academic accommodation for students with learning, mental health, physical, sensory and medical disabilities. Website.
How do I print my UHIP card?
1. Activate your York U email account, if you haven’t done so already. Go to this link for instructions.
2. Register on-line with Sun Life
- Go to www.mysunlife.ca.
- Below the Log in Bar, click on ‘Register Now’
- Click on ‘Register – Benefits Plan’
- Enter your date of birth
- Enter the country: ‘Canada’
- Enter the postal code: ‘M3J 1P3’
- Enter the policy number: ‘050150’
- Enter your member ID: ‘YU-followed by your York U Student Number’ (e.g. YU212121211)
- Click ‘Continue’ and choose your log in information (Numerical Access ID or your York U email address) and click ‘Submit’. You will now see a card with a 12-digit number on the left hand side of the screen. This is your Access ID only, not your health card. Print or save your Access ID card.
3. Check your York U email for your temporary password from Sun Life within 24-48 hours of registering, otherwise it will expire and your access may be blocked. Use the temporary password to complete your registration and print your card.
How do I use a claim form?
Complete the claim form when you pay for healthcare services. Print out a claim form at www.uhip.ca/claim.aspx- Fill out sections 1, 2 and 3 and have the healthcare provider fill out sections 4 and 5. Mail the original form and receipts to Sun Life within 12 months of the date of service (address on the form). Keep copies for your own records.
Does UHIP cover dental and vision care and prescriptions?
UHIP may cover some of these items if they are part of treatment during hospitalization. Visit
www.uhip.ca/_uploads/en_UHIPBooklet.pdf for details. Vision, dental and prescriptions costs are covered by supplemental student plans as listed.
York Federation of Students (YFS), for undergraduate students:
106 Student Centre, 416-650-8066, www.yfs.ca
Graduate Student Association (GSA), for graduate students:
325 Student Centre, 416-736-5213, www.yugsa.ca
CUPE Local 3903, for teaching assistants and graduate assistants:
TEL 2050, 416-736-5154, www.yorku.ca/hr/documents/benefits/CUPE_3903_Benefits_Active.pdf
Osgoode Student Health & Dental Plan, for Osgoode students:
010B Osgoode, Student Benefits Plan Office, 416-736-2100 x55027.
Can I extend my UHIP after I graduate or finish my exchange?
Yes, if you are staying in Canada and you apply before your coverage ends, you can extend your coverage for a maximum of 60 days. E-mail email@example.com to apply.
Do I still have UHIP if I withdraw from school?
No, your coverage is cancelled from the day you withdraw. However, if you withdraw due to illness or injury, or take a leave of absence, you may be eligible to extend your coverage. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Can I opt-out of UHIP?
UHIP coverage is mandatory unless Sun Life grants you an exemption to opt-out. Exemptions are granted when the coverage provided by your plan is equivalent to the coverage provided by UHIP.
Some plans have been reviewed by Sun Life and deemed approved or non-approved—check these lists before applying.
You are pre-approved to opt-out if you have one of the plans listed below. Drop off a copy of your proof of coverage at 200 York Lanes, Keele Campus or send a scan of it with your name and student number to email@example.com.
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) Health Care Plan
- Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) Health Care Plan
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
- National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
- World University Service of Canada (WUSC) Health Care Plan
- Embassy of Kuwait
- Interim Federal Health Care Plan
- Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
- Libyan Plan
- Schlumberger Plan
- Fletcher Allen
- Other Canadian provincially-issued insurance
You are not approved to opt-out if you have one of the plans listed at www.uhip.ca/_uploads/en_Non
If your plan does not appear on the non-approved link, you may be eligible to opt-out. Print the form at www.uhip.ca/exempted.aspx - Complete sections 1, 2 and 3. Mail copies to your other plan provider and to Sun Life (address on the exemption form).
My UHIP is cancelled. How do I get a refund?
Complete a refund form at www.uhip.ca/refund.aspx. Drop it off with supporting documents at 200 York Lanes, Keele Campus or send a scan of it and the supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org right away. You may be eligible for a refund if you have paid for a full year of UHIP coverage and you:
- have withdrawn or are deregistered from your program of study before March 1, or
- have completed your program of study before March 1, or
- have OHIP for part or all of the current academic year, or
- leave the country for fall or winter term (summer term does not qualify), or
- have received an exemption from Sun Life (including pre-approved exemptions).
Where can I get more information?
UHIP at York International
Tel: 416-736-5177 Fax: 416-736-5176
200 York Lanes, Keele Campus, York University
Tel: 1-866-500-UHIP (8447)
Note: UHIP is regulated by the Council of Ontario Universities. It is in effect at all Ontario universities (except the University of Windsor). Universities cannot alter or waive its fees or conditions. Information is subject to change without notice.
DISCLAIMER: Every attempt has been made to ensure the information contained herein is valid at the time of posting. York International, however, reserves the right to make changes, corrections and/or improvements at any time and without notice. No clerical or mechanical error made by a University - or any of the parties to the UHIP insurance contract - will invalidate insurance otherwise in force, or continue insurance otherwise terminated under the policy’s term and conditions.