Capitalizing Academic Subjects
In general usage, subjects should be listed in lower case.
- She is majoring in geography.
- He enjoys his mathematics course.
Exception: when you are describing a subject that is also a language, culture or religion, capitalize it.
- She is an English major.
- He is doing well in his Spanish course.
- York is one of the few universities in the country to offer Jewish studies.
When a subject is being described by its official or short form name, course or program title, it should be capitalized.
- She teaches in the Department of Geography at York.
- He is taking a course called Elements of Discrete Mathematics.
- Space and Communications Science is one of the specialized streams of study within Earth and Atmospheric Science.