Capitalize specific international, national and provincial government departments, ministries, agencies, boards etc., including short forms of the proper name.
- Ontario Ministry of Education
- B.C. Highways Ministry
- Canada Post Corp. (on first reference), Canada Post (on subsequent references)
- Liquor Control Board of Ontario
Capitalize cabinet portfolios only as part of a title directly preceding a name.
- Health Minister Georgia Pape
- Georgia Pape, federal minister of health
Lower case the cabinet member’s title in subsequent reference and when it stands alone.
- Finance Minister Bernard Hannon addressed the House of Commons yesterday. The finance minister spoke again about the budget he released last week.
Capitalize descriptions of the department or ministry that refer to their proper name, even when they stand alone.
- The cuts will affect Justice and Communications.
- Over 25 years, she worked in Archives, Housing and Natural Resources.
Lower case common nouns related to government ministries standing alone and in a group (plural references), and in subsequent references.
- the department, a ministry spokesperson, board members, the authority
- the departments of Justice and Defence