Department of Geography's 50th Anniversary Celebration
Oct 12, 2012, 2pm-10pm
Founded in 1962, the Department of Geography invites all its alumni, students, faculty, staff and their friends and family to a series of events planned for the afternoon and evening of Friday, October 12.
2-3:30pm Campus Walking Tour
Meet at the Information Booth in Vari Hall (the Vari Rotunda) at 2 pm for this tour of about 1 mile walking which will be led by Dr. Steve Tufts and Rob Fiedler (PhD candidate): Dr Bob Murdie will comment on the "deep history" of the campus.
3-4:30pm Afternoon Activities in the Geography Resource Centre (Ross South 403)
- At 4 pm. Launching of the 50th Anniversary Book During the past year members of the Department and alumni have contributed to a 250 page book edited by Bill Found and John Radford recording the Department's history since 1962, entitled "Geography at York University: reflections on the first fifty years". The editors will be introduced by Glen Norcliffe.
- Opening of the Department's photo archive prepared by alumnus, Allan Hoyle. If you have photos of Departmental events from years past, please scan them and send them a.s.a.p. to Allan Hoyle at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Display of a large series of posters prepared by current graduate students for this event and for the concurrent CAGONT Conference at Scarborough Campus which reveal the remarkable scope of current research in the Department.
- A display of selected geographical material drawn from the University Archives by the University archivist, Michael Moir.
- To be given by Professor Emeritus John Warkentin OC, PhD, LLD, FRSC
- Title: "For Geographers, there always is a New World"
- Introduced by Oliver Rendace M.A., President of the Geography Alumni Association
- Welcome by President and Vice-Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri
- Welcome by Martin Singer, Dean of the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies
- Toast: To the First Fifty years by Professor Emeritus James Gibson PhD, FRSC.
- Reply by the Department Chair, Professor Lucia Lo PhD.
- Toast: To the Next Fifty Years by Dylann Maclean M.A.- Alumni representative, and Diego Sotomayor M.Sc., President of the Graduate Association of Geography Students
- Reply by the co-chairs of the Geography and Environmental Science Society at York: Zoe Davis B.Sc. and Ishac Musah B.Sc.
Standard Ticket $50
Premium Ticket $125
Includes a contribution of $50 to the newly launched "Friends of York Geography Fund" and a copy of Geography at York University: Reflection on the First Fifty Years.
|Location:||Multiple Venues, Keele Campus, York University|
|Sponsor:||Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies|
|Posted by:||Glen Norcliffe|