Spencer Monckton (PhD candidate, Packer Lab) delves into the details of the fascinating Vespa mandarinia, incorrectly dubbed the "Murder Hornet".
Some key points:
- The do not post a danger to humans
- We don't know if they post a threat to (non-native) honey bees
- There are already multiple introduced honey bee pests in N. America
- They are unable to rapidly spread and "invade" as they don't travel far distances and don't do well in cold climates
- Fear of giant hornets can risk native species
Read the full article here.