Earlier today you received an email from President Lenton about York’s response to COVID-19. This included information about suspending face-to-face classes and moving courses to online formats. As an international student, we understand you may have some additional questions and concerns about what this means for you.
I want to reiterate President Lenton’s message and say that York is here to support every member of the community during this time. The University is open and our services and supports remain open and available to you.
- York International and other services are available across campus to support international students.
- International Student Advisors & Immigration Specialists are on hand to answer your immigration questions.
- Our UHIP staff will be available to answer questions about health insurance for international students. For questions regarding your UHIP coverage, please email email@example.com.
- Student Counselling & Development will remain open for students looking to speak to a counsellor.
- Residence Life and Housing staff will be on hand to support students living in residence.
- Many services can be offered in alternate formats including over email, phone or virtually if you do not wish to come onto campus or will be away from campus.
Some of you are likely considering travel to your home countries during this time. The move to online formats for classes gives you the flexibility to do so as you see fit. The University is considering options for final exams and will communicate decisions as quickly as possible.
You should also check for travel restrictions in your home country and/or in Canada as you plan your travels. There is some uncertainty in future travel restrictions so please consider and evaluate your options carefully in making a decision about your travel plans.
RESIDENCES ARE OPEN
If you are not planning on returning to your home country and live in residence on campus, current plans are for York residences to remain open.
STUDY PERMIT INFORMATION
We are also working to get information from Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada about anything that may be important regarding study permits. We will update you as information becomes available. Please make sure to check York International’s website regularly for these updates as well.
For questions regarding immigration and general international student well-being, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand this is a difficult time and you may be feeling anxious and worried. We encourage you to continue taking preventative and safety measures including frequent hand washing, sanitizing surfaces regularly and staying home if you are feeling ill.
York will continue to update the community on the most current information on COVID-19 via the Coronavirus Information and Updates website and through email.