Students living in proximity to campus, in undergraduate residences, York Apartments and The Quad have indicated a need for accessible, quiet spaces with reliable internet access to study and work on projects. In response to this need, York U is making a number of student study spaces available to students.
September 21: Study spaces open in Scott Library (first floor) Monday to Friday, 10 a.m.to 5 p.m.
October 1: Additional study spaces will be made available on the second floor of Scott Library Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
October 13: Additional study spaces will be made available in Steacie Science & Engineering Library on Keele Campus Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
October 15: Additional study spaces will be made available in Frost Library on the Glendon Campus Mondays and Thursdays 11a.m. to 6 p.m.
Reserving Study Space
Please visit the Study Spaces on Campus web page for details about study space locations, hours of operation and to reserve a study space.
York University has instituted a number of measures to keep students safe on campus this fall, guided by public health guidelines and the government. The on-campus study spaces:
- are limited in number;
- will be clearly identified as study spaces through directional and door signage;
- will be cleaned throughout the day, with a focus on high touch areas;
- will be cleaned thoroughly each night by York Facilities staff;
- will have washrooms and hand hygiene stations close by;
- will have furniture arranged to allow for physical distancing;
- will be monitored by York security to ensure student safety; and
- may have a sign-in process to assist Toronto Public Health in the event they need to conduct contact tracing.
Students using study spaces will be allowed to leave the space for short breaks (to use the washroom, have a bite to eat) and return to the space within their booked time. Please visit the Food Services website to see which outlets are open.
Laptop Lending Program
A limited number of laptops are available for loan by students who do not have a computer to use at home. You can reserve a laptop and schedule a pickup appointment online. Appointments are available on Wednesdays only, and laptop availability is updated each Monday.
If you require assistance while in a study space on campus:
- If you have any safety or security concerns, contact York Security Services at 416-736-5333 or through your York Safety App. For life-threatening situations where people or property are at immediate risk, always call 911 first.
- To report concerns with the physical study space (e.g. furniture maintenance or lack of hand hygiene availability) contact Facilities Services at 416-736-5317.
Assessment of our on-campus study spaces and their usage will continue through the fall to ensure that an adequate number of these spaces are available to students.
I wish you a successful study term!