At York University, we continue to be aligned with public health and government guidelines. As a result of new public health measures introduced by the Ontario Government last week, York University has continued to take actions to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The following changes are now in effect.
- Fitness facilities: All indoor gyms are now closed
- Food services: Service is now takeout only, and all seating in dining halls and other food service outlets is closed.
- Other on-campus activities: All social gatherings and organized public events are now limited to a maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors, where physical distancing can be maintained. These two limits cannot be combined to create an indoor-outdoor event. In-person labs and approved activities already observe this limit. No changes are being made to current approved on-campus, labs, classes and research.
- Masks or face coverings: Face coverings are now required indoors regardless of physical distancing guidelines. Anyone entering an indoor space on any York University property, including all campuses, work sites and satellite offices, must wear a mask or face covering that covers their mouth, nose and chin completely.
- Parking: Paid parking had been planned to resume in November of this year as part of the University’s gradual re-opening of the campuses over the summer; however with the current rise in COVID-19 cases and the regional return to a modified stage 2 status, the reinstatement of paid parking has been put on hold until further notice. Parking will continue to remain complimentary for those individuals approved to be on campus.
The University continues to review the limited in-person activities taking place on our campuses to ensure they are essential. Currently, more than 97% of our 3,500 undergraduate courses are through on-line and remote delivery for the 2020/21 academic year.
We must continue to be vigilant, however, and I would remind you about the importance of following the safety protocols we have in place for community members permitted to be on campus. Those approved to return to campus must:
- Complete the COVID-19 Screening Checklist each time before they attend York and must have answered ‘no’ to all the screening questions.
- Wear a mask or face covering in shared spaces and within buildings (see above)
- Practice physical distancing and hand hygiene.
For the most current information, we encourage all community members to visit the YU Better Together website on a regular basis.
Executive Director, Community Safety
Acting Director, Emergency Operations Centre