I am looking forward to welcoming you to York for the Winter 2021 term and want to take this opportunity to provide you with some information about starting your studies at York.
If you have not yet completed your course enrolment, I encourage you to do so as soon as possible, as courses are filling up. The York Courses website shows you all course offerings for Winter 2021. Winter term courses will be offered, for the most part, through online/remote delivery, but, in accordance with guidance from our public health authorities, we have been able to increase the number of in-person smaller classes, tutorials and experiential activities such as studio and labs, and re-establish access to our research facilities. You can see a list of in-person courses on the Fall/Winter 2020-2021 In-Person Courses web page.
York University is now a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with an approved quarantine readiness plan. That means that as of October 20, 2020 international students with a valid study permit or a full study permit approval are exempt from travel restrictions and can travel to Canada to study at York. If you have an Approval in Principle (or a Stage 1 approval), you cannot yet travel. Please wait until you have a full or Stage 2 approval before making any travel plans. York has quarantine accommodations available for students arriving in Canada from international locations. If you will be arriving in Canada and looking to quarantine in our designated York location between December 24, 2020 and January 9, 2021, you must make your request by December 1, 2020. More information about arriving in Canada and quarantine requirements are available on the York International website.
Whether you are travelling to Canada or studying from abroad, join York International’s International Student Virtual Orientation on January 7 and 8, 2021.
Contact York International for questions about immigration – study permits, work permits, arriving in Canada, health insurance in Canada and general questions about being an international student at York.
We’re here to help
You can access a variety of resources to support your success with online learning:
- Learning Skills Services and Student Community & Leadership Development have a variety of online learning strategies and tips, as well as health and wellness resources.
- The Online Learning Protocol for York University Students includes information and tips on using the variety of online learning tools through which your courses will be offered.
- Visit My Online Services for virtual services and self-serve tools to get what you need, when you need it, from wherever you are.
- Student Counselling & Development is available for single-session or emergency support at 416-736-5297. A list of additional virtual counselling, crises and support services is available on their website.
- Reach out to Student Community Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit oscr.students.yorku.ca if you need referrals and support, both internal and external to York, help with complex issues or assistance with personal issues related to the pandemic.
I wish you great success in your studies at York!