Canada has recently announced changes to travel requirements and restrictions for individuals travelling from or through ten countries, due to concerns of a new COVID-19 variant.
Individuals coming from or through the following countries will be affected by these updates: South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Malawi, Eswatini and Botswana. Full details about the changes continue to be released and the information we know so far is shared below.
These recent changes may significantly impact you, your ability to travel to Canada and your study plan at York. We know this may be an added worry for you and your loved ones. The York International team is available to provide support during these tumultuous times. If you have immigration-related questions, join a Drop-in Immigration Advising appointment to speak directly to an International Student Advisor. If you have any other questions or require additional support, such as counselling, do not hesitate to reach out to the York International team at email@example.com.
If you are already in Canada and do not plan on travelling out of the country, you may disregard this message.
Regardless of vaccination status, all foreign nationals who are travelling from or through any of the ten countries identified above are prohibited from entering Canada until Jan. 31, 2022. If you were in any of these countries for any amount of time in the last 14 days, you will not be allowed entry to Canada.
NEW TESTING REQUIREMENTS
All international travellers, except for those flying from the U.S., will be required to complete a COVID-19 test upon arrival at Canadian airports. You will be required to self-isolate until you receive a negative test result. If you have a connecting flight through a city in the U.S., you may still be required to do a COVID-19 test upon arrival. Test results may take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours.
You must still provide a negative COVID-19 molecular test result, taken 72 hours or less before your flight’s departure time.
For more information about testing requirements, visit the YU Better Together FAQs for International Students.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE WINTER TERM
Here is what you need to know/do for your travel to Canada:
- Fill out the International Student Location form.
- Check your eligibility to enter Canada and any quarantine requirements. If eligible, book your flight. Please note that international students (18 years of age and older) who are not fully vaccinated must arrive in Canada by January 14, 2022. Those who arrive afterwards will not be permitted entry. Individuals who have been vaccinated with Sinopharm (Beijing), Sinovac and Covaxin, or any Health Canada approved vaccines, are eligible for exemption from quarantine after receiving a negative result from their arrival test.
- Submit the Travel to Canada form. All international students travelling to Canada are required to complete this form, regardless of your vaccination status or quarantine requirements/arrangements. This form will assist York University in providing you with any necessary documentation, enrolment into UHIP and provide support during the quarantine period.
- Submit the Quarantine Request form at least four to six weeks before your travel date. The York University Quarantine Program will continue during the Winter semester. Please note, York is expecting a high volume of requests for quarantine and requests should be submitted within the specified timeframe to make sure they are processed on time.
- Update your vaccination status and upload your proof of vaccination to YU Screen. If you reside in a region with limited vaccine availability and are unable to be vaccinated before arriving in Canada, please read the International Student FAQs on YU Better Together for information about the bridging period for international students.
- Confirm courses. If you are not able to travel to Canada for the Winter term, check the Winter Online Courses list for course availability.
For more information, please visit the YU Better Together FAQs for International Students. International students can reach out to York International at firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Executive Director, York International