Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre (RIWC)
Established in 1982, Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre (RIWC) is a community-based registered charity founded with a mission to empower racialized immigrant and refugee women and their families. RIWC delivers its services through a holistic and integrated service framework that addresses the social, cultural, and economic determinants of healthy and vibrant immigrant communities.
RIWC is launching a new Technology Mentorship Program this summer to provide one-to-one and virtual group support for senior immigrant and racialized women challenged with low digital literacy skills. Their goal is to close the intergenerational digital divide and increase the accessibility of community resources for isolated and vulnerable seniors in the City of Toronto.
What they are looking for
RIWC is recruiting a team of volunteer Technology Mentors responsible for providing technical support and skills training for 45 to 50 senior women through their pilot initiative this summer through fall/winter 2020. Their Mentors will be matched with seniors in the community and will be responsible for the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide one-to-one individual assessment to assess technical skills and wraparound service needs of 1 to 3 senior women.
- Develop an 8-week action plan to identify key goals and outcomes for the matched period (if 8 weeks is not needed, the plans can be reduced to 4 to 6 weeks).
- Development of weekly meeting schedule and communication plan to connect with senior women during the matched period.
- Review and deliver content from Conversation Guides (provided by Program Coordinator) with senior women based on need.
- Provide technical skills training as needed based on action plan.
- Provide referral and advocacy support for senior women based on action plan.
- Complete exit interview and additional referrals at the end of the matched period.
RIWC is looking for post-secondary students currently enrolled in Social Work, Community Counseling or Personal Support Worker programs to provide virtual person and group support for vulnerable senior populations in the community. The ideal candidate will have experience working with senior populations with strong communication and technical skills. Knowledge and fluency in newcomer languages are an asset.
The volunteer position is a virtual program with flexible hours that can be customized to meet the needs of the mentors and seniors. Volunteers need to commit to participating in the program between July 2021 and January 2022.
How to Apply
Please send your contact information and current resume to Christian Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org