Emerging Leadership Training (ELT)
If you are thinking about getting involved at York and/or want to build on your leadership skills, then this training is for you. We want to introduce you to the culture of peer leadership at Calumet and Stong Colleges and at York University. We have developed a highly interactive program where you will explore topics with your peers in small and large groups. Students attending this training will complete the following three modules:
- YU Matter and Belong -learn about the importance of a sense of mattering and dig deeper into topics such as resiliency, grit, and growth mindset.
- YU Thrive and Flourish - reflect on your self-care strategies and learn about the importance of managing stress. Emotional intelligence and self-compassion will also be discussed as ways to help you thrive and flourish.
- Fostering a Leadership Community - explore elements and benefits of peer leadership and student engagement and how you can get involved in our leadership community.
What we need from you
To receive a certificate of participation, you will be required to meet the following five program requirements:
- Participate in the full training (participants are asked to arrive on time and stay until the training ends).
- If you are participating in our virtual session, you are required to have access to a webcam, mic, and internet. You will be asked to keep your camera on and participate in the live small and large group discussions.
- Complete all pre-instructional activities, prior to the scheduled training, (2-hour commitment prior to the training) using the eClass platform.
- Complete all post training activities (1-hour commitment after the training) using the eClass platform.
- Attend your scheduled Academic Orientation session and York Orientation Day (YOD). ELTdoes NOT replace the mandatory Academic Orientation session for all new students.
Mode of Delivery, Dates and Times
- IN-PERSON: Wednesday, August 3, 2022 – 2:00pm to 6:30pm
- ONLINE via Zoom (Synchronous): Tuesday, August 9, 2022 – 11:00am to 3:30pm
- IN-PERSON: Tuesday, August 16, 2022 -12:00pm to 4:30pm
Registration Link: tinyurl.com/ELTSU22