Student Opportunity: Community Health and Wellness Research Assistant
Job ID: 27565
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 18, 2021 @11:59pm
Eligibility Criteria: sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions
Applications are only accepted through the Career Centre. Go to careers.yorku.ca/online-system/ and search for the posting with the Job ID (listed above).
Hourly Wage: $16.25 per hour
Weekly Hours: 13 hours per week
Start Date: May 10, 2021
End Date: August 27, 2021
Under the supervision of Dr. James Orbinski , the Community Health and Wellness RAY student will:
- Support the Butterfly Garden Health and Wellness Project which is an artistic (i.e. storytelling) process to discover and enable health and wellness
- Design appropriate tools, methods, and communication outputs for support to communities seeking health and wellness; Communities of interest include: new immigrants, refuggee, and homeless people in the GTA
- Support in realizing a complete curriculum plan for the Butterfly Garden health and wellness project which includes literature searches and summary descriptions of core research paper findings
- Prepare draft documents, budgets, powerpoint presentations and excel spreadsheets as requested
- Assist in writing and submitting grant proposals
- Attend and actively participate in Butterfly Garden workshops
- Provide events support including administrative and logistical support
Specific research activities the student(s) will be engaged in:
- Create a digital research archive of resources that are organized in such a way that is user friendly;
- Create a series of draft PowerPoint presentations that capture the core conceptual content.
- Explore ways in which the research programs at the Dahdaleh Institute could be improved upon through analyzing user statistical data;
Type of research experience the student(s) will receive:
- Critical thinking
- Conducting literature review
- Preparing presentations and written outputs of research
Type of training and support that will be provided to the student(s) in carrying out these research activities:
- Methodological training on data analysis and conducting literature reviews
- Subject matter training on global health and design
- Regular status meetings with your supervising full-time faculty
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study). The Dahdaleh Institute is committed to a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment. Applications from all qualified individuals are welcome, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Demonstrated interest in global health
- Demonstrated skills, experience, and familiarity with conducting literature reviews
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures
- Excellent communication skills: professional email/phone correspondence, public speaking, and presentation proficiency
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take on initiative
- Demonstrates organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team with researchers, students, and staff
List of applications materials:
- Cover Letter
|Global Health Foresighting|
You may also be interested in...
Blockchain Technologies in Global Health
Blockchain technologies offer tremendous opportunities to build secure & transparent mechanisms in global health. This project convenes a coalition of...
Read more about this Project
Blockchain for a Healthy Climate
Putting the Paris Agreement on the blockchain Using blockchain technology to connect the National Carbon Accounts of all countries in...
Read more about this Project
Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization: Reimagining Approaches in Higher Education in an Era of Global Uncertainties
January 20 - January 22 York University is hosting the Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization Virtual Conference, co-organized by York International,...
Read more about this Event