Skip to main content

Travel Advances

Travelers may request cash advances to cover out-of-pocket expenses relating to travel. The Request for Accountable Advance form is used for this purpose and can include payments for airfare, hotels, car rental and/or conference registration. To ensure a timely receipt of funds travel advance requests need to be submitted to General Accounting-Finance no less than 7 business days prior to the date when the funds are needed. It is the responsibility of the travelers to clear advances within 14 days of their return by submitting an expense claim. The University reserves the right to withhold future advances until all outstanding travel advances have been accounted for.

Accountable advances may not be issued against a Senior Scholar Professional Expense Reimbursement.

How To Request Funds in Advance of Travel

Step 1: Complete a Request for Accountable Advance form,
Step 2: Obtain Dean or Chair signature
Step 3: Attach a budget and send to Finance

How To Get Reimbursed for Travel Expenses

On-line Automated Expense Reporting

Concur Expense, York University's online, automated expense reporting system, is available for current faculty and staff, letting you submit expense claims and cash advance requests electronically, eliminating the manual paper based process.

Manual Paper Based Expense Reporting

Receipts Required for Meals vs. Per Diems

The Ontario Government has revised the Broader Public Sector Expense Directive to align with recent changes to the Ontario Public Service Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expense Directive.

As a result of the changes, the University is aligning its reimbursement policy with the government directive. Individuals may claim per diems in lieu of Providing receipts for meals charges incurred on or after January 1, 2017, up to the maximums allowed.


In Canada

US or International


CAD $12

USD $12


CAD $17

USD $17


CAD $36

USD $36

Total Daily Allowance

CAD $65

USD $65


This policy will not be applied to Tri Council (i.e. NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR and CRC) and other eligible grants or contracts where per diem for meals is explicitly permitted in the contract. Claimants should refer to the List of Funding Agencies and Related Per Diem Rates to determine if their grants/contracts accept per diem rates for meal expenses.

Useful Tools for Travellers

Refer to the Finance Chart of Accounts web page for Revenue & Expense account coding.