We want you to enjoy your Meal Plan, but there are some terms and conditions that apply. Please read the following carefully.
You can also review 2020/2021 Terms and Conditions.
- Meal Plans are for personal use only and are non-transferable. Funds cannot be used to purchase food in bulk and/or for other sharing.
- Meal Plans cannot be used to purchase items such as taxable snacks, groceries, consumer goods (books, paper, etc.) or gift certificates. Use of the YU-card is subject to the YU-card Holder’s Agreement, which is posted on the YU-card website.
- Meal Plan funds may only be used to purchase prepared meals at participating locations.
- In accordance with the Excise Tax Act, snack and beverage items cannot be purchased with Meal Plan funds, unless they are purchased as part of a prepared meal. If you are purchasing these items separately, Taxable or Flex Funds must be used. In order to maximize your savings and the use of your Meal Plan funds, snack and beverage items should be purchases as part of a prepared meal whenever possible.
These items include but are not limited to:
- carbonated beverages
- non-carbonated beverages that contain less than 25% by volume of natural fruit juice
- candies and confectionary items, such as chewing gum and chocolate
- chips, crisps, popcorn, pretzels, granola products, snack mixtures and similar snack foods
- fruit bars, rolls or drops or similar fruit-based snack foods
- frozen treats including ice cream, sherbert, frozen yogurt, or frozen pudding
- cakes muffins, pastries, cookies, doughnuts, croissants with sweetened filling or coating, or similar products (but not including bread products, such as bagels, English muffins, croissants or bread rolls, without sweetened filling or coating).
CANCELLATION AND CHANGE POLICY
Meal Plans are non-refundable. A Meal Plan may be cancelled only if you elect to move out of residence prior to November 14, 2021 if your residence contract is for the Fall term only, or March 20, 2022 if your residence contract is for the Winter term only or the full Fall/Winter session. Your refund will be calculated on a prorated basis for the time you were assigned a residence room or the last date you use the Meal Plan, whichever is later. A $50.00 cancellation fee applies.
CARRY FORWARD POLICY
Any unspent Meal Plan Plus dollars will be transferred to a taxable carry-forward account at the end of the Meal Plan term on April 30, 2022. These funds may be used in subsequent years to purchase food on a taxable basis if you remain enrolled at York University. Any unused Meal Plan Plus dollars that are transferred to the taxable account at the end of the Meal Plan term are subject to a $50 Administration Fee. Unspent taxable carry-forward dollars will expire if you cease to be enrolled at York. Meal Plan, Meal Plan Plus and taxable carry-forward dollars are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another cardholder or the Flex account.
MEAL PLAN ACCOUNT EXPIRY
Your Meal Plan account balance expires at the end of the Meal Plan term on April 30, 2022. Any unspent Meal Plan dollars will be forfeited and cleared from your account at this period. Meal Plan funds are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another cardholder or fund on the YU-card.
ELIGIBLE PURCHASES FOR TAX EXEMPTIONS
To be eligible for exemption from sales taxes when making purchases from your Meal Plan:
- You must have a valid Meal Plan tax exemption sticker affixed to your YU-card to obtain the exemption on your meal purchases. The sticker may be obtained from the YU-card Office. Purchases made without a valid sticker will be subject to applicable taxes and cannot be refunded.
- The tax exemption applies to the purchase of prepared meals, and non-alcoholic beverages sold with meals. Meal Plan funds must be used to purchase prepared meals on a tax exempt basis.
- Taxable beverages and snacks (e.g. soft drinks, bubble tea, granola bars, frozen yogurt, pastries, confectioneries) that are not purchased with a prepared meal are taxable and must be purchased with your Taxable or Flex dollars. To maximize your savings, purchase beverages and desserts as part of a meal whenever possible.
Neither Meal Plan or Meal Plan Taxable funds can be transferred to the Flex Account. You can add Flex funds to your YU-card by visiting the YU-card website.
Food outlets on the Keele and Glendon campuses will be closed during the University's winter closure. Meal Plans will not be usable during the closure. Meal Plan holders are responsible for making alternate arrangements for meals during this time if remaining in residence.
If you live in residence, payment is due at the same time as your residence fees. Please refer to your Residence Agreement for further information. If you do not live in residence, payment is due at the time of purchase.
2020/2021 TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Meal Plans are for personal use only and are not transferable. The Meal Plan may only be used to purchase meals at participating locations, which are listed on our dining directory. The Meal Plan account cannot be used to purchase food for other people, or items such as taxable snacks, groceries, consumer goods (books, paper, etc.) or gift certificates. Use of the YU-card is subject to the YU-card Holder’s Agreement, which is posted on the YU-card website. In addition, please note the following: