It’s easy, simply fill out the online application form.*
If you are considered a potential candidate, you will be contacted for an interview. Once selected, you will be required to attend a mandatory training session in August to go over the expectations and sign your confidentiality and service agreement.
* Applicant information will remain confidential and will be securely stored as per York University’s compliance with the Freedom of Information and Access to Privacy Act (FIPPA)
If you are selected for an interview, you can expect to hear from us shortly after the application deadline. Successful applicants are notified by mid June at the latest.
Any Faculty of Health student in their second year or higher can be a SHAY. Faculty of Health students are in the following programs:
- Kinesiology and Health Science
- Health Studies (Policy, Management and Informatics)
- Global Health
No, only students within the Faculty of Health can be SHAYs. This is because the purpose of the program is to connect Faculty of Health students with prospective students to hear from current Health students about their experiences and to have their questions answered about Health’s degree programs.
All SHAYs are expected to attend and participate in a minimum of five events per academic year, and accumulate 30 SHAY Points which is equivalent to about 30hrs of service between September and April.
- Points and rewards!
- Develop your leadership skills
- Strengthen your communication , presentation and organizational skills
- Acquire transferable skills employers are looking for
- Network with other like-minded students, faculty and staff
- Get involved and be part of building a sense of community on campus
- Meet students from other programs
- Make new friends and have fun
We want SHAYs who are motivated to make positive contributions by sharing their experiences as a York student with prospective students. We are looking for students who are:
- outgoing and energetic
- compassionate about helping others
- well-informed about their degree programs
- good leaders and communicators
- SHAYs are primarily a representative of York University, the Faculty of Health and the program of study they are in.
- SHAYs are responsible for attending York events and Faculty events.
- SHAYs are required to communicate their experience and information about Faculty of Health degree programs to prospective students, their parents and other attendees.
Yes, you may choose the events you would like to attend.
You will receive emails with information about various events throughout the year; all you need to do is respond by letting us know which events you would like to participate in.
Please remember that all SHAYs are expected to attend a minimum of five events during the academic year. In the unlikely event that we have too many SHAYS for an event we will allocate and be fair as possible.
There are many events and activities for SHAYs to participate in including recruitment events such as:
- The Ontario University Fair
- Fall Campus Day
- Experience York Day
- York-Wide Applicant Receptions
- Health Program Applicant Receptions
- Campus Tours
- High School Visits
- Calling Campaigns
Other activities include participating in Orientation Week in September by providing tours or assisting with presentations to new students, participating in program videos, being photographed for marketing material, among other opportunities that may come up.
SHAYs earn reward points for every event they attend and those points translate into rewards ranging from certificates to a letter from the Dean, to great York apparel and gift certificates to the bookstore. At the end of the academic year (usually late April or early May), we hold a fun filled celebration dinner to celebrate the work of the SHAYs at which the SHAYs receive their reward items.