Home » Graduate Housing - York Apartments » York Apartments Lease Term

York Apartments Lease Term

When you are offered an apartment you will be required to accept and confirm the terms of your Tenancy Agreement by returning  a signed copy of it. York Apartments residents are assigned a term lease with an end date of April 30. Each year thereafter, the leases are renewed pending resident’s eligibility (full-time status and financial standing with the University) at the time of review. Residents with leases that are up for renewal are contacted at least three (3) months prior to lease expiry and offered the extension for the following year.
All leaseholders of the York Apartments, regardless of the duration of their stay, are required to provide 60 days of notification prior to moving out by submitting an N11 Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy Form to the Housing Office. 
This also applies to all students who wish to move out for a temporary period between academic terms (e.g. during the summer months), and will require the student to re-apply for housing if they wish to return to York Apartments in future academic terms. Students already in a lease may not re-apply until they move out and there must be at least one academic term (or four months) between tenancies.
Students who are graduating, withdrawing or taking a leave from the University are no longer eligible to remain in residence. Students are required to submit a 60-day notice to vacate their apartments (N11 Agreement to Terminate A Tenancy Form) online through the York Apartments Forms prior to the end of their term.
A leaseholder who wishes to temporarily vacate their specific unit and sublease it to another resident is required to register their subleasee through Housing & Conference Services and the subleasee must also be a student registered at York University in good standing.
The leaseholder has the financial responsibility for payment of rent to their student account at all times. Students who accumulate debt on their student account from their previous academic terms will be notified that their enrollment will be blocked and that they may be requested to vacate.
We make every effort to ensure the information posted on our website is as current as possible. However, it is necessary from time to time to alter policies and procedures and the University reserves the right to make these changes.