International Student Success Ambassador
Program: International Student Success & Engagement
Unit / Department:
Job Type: Leadership, Peer Leader Roles
Eligibility: Must qualify as an international student. Must also be ‘work/study eligible' and must complete the online Student Financial Profile. Please consult the Student Financial Services website to determine your Work-Study eligibility.
Number of Positions Available: 1 Lead Ambassador & 2 Ambassador positions
Type of Position: Paid
Rate of Pay: Lead Ambassador: $17.00 per hours; Ambassador: $16.00 per hour
Employment Term: May 2023-April 2024
Hours of Work: SU 25 hours per week; F/W 15 hours per week
Working closely with the International Student Success & Engagement Coordinator, assist with the following, but not limited to:
- Assist with identifying issues relevant to international students in LA&PS and suggest innovative ideas for programming that addresses them.
- Actively participate and assist with new International (undergraduate and graduate and exchange) students' orientation and transitional events and programming.
- Facilitate events, services and access to resources aimed towards international students’ transition, adjustment and success.
- Act as an international peer mentor to a cohort of incoming first-year international students at LA&PS.
- Assist with the promotion and outreach of all events and programming under the LA&PS international students’ portfolio via social media and the creation of promotional materials.
- Work collaboratively with York International Global Peers and Colleges’ Peer Mentors to organize and implement larger community events for international students.
- Assist with research and data organizing.
- Participate in training, team meetings, midterm and final review as outlined in the Becoming YU program.
Applicants must be current York undergraduate students. Preference will be given to applicants with a proven track record of demonstrated leadership, as well as a genuine interest in working in a team-environment to deliver services towards international students’ needs. An intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel are strongly recommended, as well as experience using Photoshop, Premiere Pro and other video-editing and design software.
- Must be highly organized, energetic & able to make a positive contribution to all tasks related to the smooth functioning of International Student Success programming at LA&PS.
- Demonstrated skills in event planning, facilitation and management.
- Excellent communication skills, inclusive of written, oral & the ability & willingness to speak in front of groups.
- Demonstrated excellence in prioritizing tasks with superior attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work flexibly with competing deadlines.
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills, while presenting a professional image of themselves, the program and the University at all times.
- Well versed in social media networking and community building strategies and tactics.
- Relevant multimedia content curation with creativity and “out of the box” thinking.
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates reliability, punctuality and eagerness towards new experiences and learning.
- Ability to accurately complete tasks diligently and on time.
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team with students, volunteers and staff.
- Students who are a good fit for this position are approachable, knowledgeable and open to learning about themselves and others. They will show high levels of Emotional Intelligence combined with excellent adaptability and organizational skills.
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume