SNACK Senior Peer Tutor
Program: Student Numeracy Assistance Centre at Keele (SNACK)
Unit / Department: Student Success & Access Programs
Job Type: Academic, Peer Leader Roles
Eligibility: You must be eligible for work-study or international work-study to work within the Faculty of LA&PS. Please review the eligibility requirements for domestic students and international students to verify your status.
Type of Position: Paid
Rate of Pay: $17.00 per hour
Employment Term: September 2023-April 2024
Hours of Work: 15 hours per week
The mission of the LA&PS Math & Stats Centre is to provide numeracy support to all LA&PS students enrolled at York University by promoting active and independent learning. As part of this mission, the Centre supports all LA&PS students by providing them with one-on-one peer tutoring and workshops to foster excellence in math adjacent courses. Peer Tutors will be trained to assist students with various levels of understanding, using a variety of learning techniques. You can help make our Centre a positive, constructive environment where all students feel comfortable and welcome. As a Peer Tutor, you will have the opportunity to develop your numeracy, communication, and leadership skills - the exact skillset top employers’ demand.
Peer Tutor Duties
- Providing one-on-one and small group peer tutoring support to students to foster excellence in math adjacent courses
- Scheduling peer tutoring sessions on an as-needed basis.
- Participating in all training sessions.
- Consulting with the Student Success Coordinators on students' progress.
- Supporting the production of numeracy related workshops.
- Being punctual and providing accurate and effective peer tutoring.
- Assist with onboarding and training for incoming SNACK Peer Tutors.
- Lead ongoing training and team meetings throughout the Fall/Winter Term.
- Meeting regularly with the Academic Lead and Student Success Coordinators to share updates, resources, and establish positive working rapport.
- Respecting the Code of Conduct of York University.
The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (LA&PS) is looking for exceptional upper-year undergraduates to tutor their peers in Math, Stats, and Excel. Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Passion for mentoring, tutoring, and helping fellow students
- Proven ability to learn, with an academic record of A or A+ in relevant courses
- Eagerness to work as part of a team of Peer Tutors
- High overall academic standing
- Experience and familiarity with York University and campus resources
- Previous relevant experience with peer tutoring, mentoring or other peer support at a post-secondary, preferably university level
- Previous experience with peer mentorship and/or the SNACK program is an asset
Candidates with an A or A+ in any of the following (or equivalent) courses are encouraged to apply:
- ECON 1530,1540,2300,2350,2500,3480
- ADMS 2310,2320,3300,3330
- PPAS 3300
- POLS 3300, SOCI 3030,3031
- SC/MATH 1190,1532,1581,2565
- ITEC 1610, 1620
Completing the following courses with an A or A+ would be an added asset: ADMS 2500, 2510, 3530, 3531.
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Unofficial Transcript