Study Abroad Program Assistant
Program: International Student Success & Engagement
Unit / Department:
Job Type: Leadership, Planning
Eligibility: You must be eligible for work-study or international work-study to work within the Faculty of LA&PS. Please review the eligibility requirements for domestic students and international students to verify your status.
Number of Positions Available: 1
Type of Position: Paid
Rate of Pay: $16.00 per hour
Employment Term: September 2023-April 2024
Hours of Work: 10-15 hours per week
Working closely with the Study Abroad Coordinator, assist with the following, but not limited to:
- Assist with the promotion and outreach of all events and programming under the LA&PS study abroad portfolio via social media and the creation of promotional materials.
- Assist the LA&PS Communications Team with updating the Summer Study Abroad website.
- Assist with administrative support activities related to student mobility at LA&PS.
- Research potential course logistics such as site visits and activities, transportation, and lodging abroad.
- Assist with the initial screening of study abroad applications to ensure that applicants meet minimum eligibility requirements.
- Respond to inquiries from students via e-mail, phone, and in person, provide information and support, and make referrals where appropriate.
- Assist with organizing and delivering study abroad information sessions, pre-departure/safety abroad sessions, and post-trip feedback sessions with student participants and faculty leaders.
- Assist with ensuring that students going abroad have met all requirements and deadlines.
- Assist with assessment of programming.
Student Learning Components:
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
As part of your work-study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
Through this role, the Study Abroad Program Assistant will have opportunities to develop and enhance specific skills in the following competencies through the Becoming-YU program:
- Active listening
- Build Interpersonal connections
- Building rapport with students, Vanier Peer Mentor team, and faculty
- Leading and mentoring students towards student success
- Personal Success, Self-Awareness, and Accountability
- Being flexible and adaptive in response to dynamic situations in consultations
- Demonstrating planning and organizational skills
- Social Responsibility and Community Engagement
- Embracing the diversity of student approaches to learning
- Knowledge acquisition and application
- Interpreting and applying principles and resources learned in individual and group contexts
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Action planning of weekly sessions that establishes priorities and goals
Education & Experience:
Applicants must be current LA&PS undergraduate students. Preference will be given to applicants with a proven track record of demonstrated leadership, international experience, and a willingness to work in a collaborative environment.
- Must be highly organized, energetic & able to make a positive contribution to all tasks related to the smooth functioning of study abroad programming at LA&PS.
- Demonstrated skills in event planning, facilitation, and assessment.
- Strong oral communication skills, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a small team environment.
- Excellent computer skills (MS office, Outlook, eClass, Canva, Teams, etc.).
- Familiarity with and sensitivity to cultural diversity and fostering inclusivity.
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills, while presenting a professional image of themselves, the program, and the University at all times.
- Experience with social media and ability to work with communications team on promotional campaigns for the study abroad program.
- Demonstrates reliability, punctuality and eagerness towards new experiences and learning.
- Experience living, working, or travelling abroad is considered an asset.
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume