Distress Centres of Greater Toronto
Placement Organization: Distress Centres of Greater Toronto
Position Title: INTERN, COMMUNICATIONS & COMMUNITY OUTREACH
Number of Possible Placements Available: 3
Working Site’s Location: 10 trinity Square Toronto, Ontario
Since 1967, Distress Centres of Greater Toronto has provided 24-hour support, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to individuals in our community at risk and their most vulnerable. We are Canada’s oldest volunteer delivered crisis, emotional support and suicide prevention + intervention + postvention service agency.
Working in a fast-paced environment that requires agile thinking & ability to adapt to deliver assigned tasks within tight turnarounds.
• Contribute to the planning, execution and management of community outreach opportunities
• Contribute to an integrated media relations strategy to enhance our visibility across all media channels
• Report on a range of performance metrics that demonstrate the impact and effectiveness of media outputs Manage public relations initiatives to grow significance of international and domestic days of action
• Manage ad-hoc public relations needs of the organization inclusive of but not limited to: press releases, media interviews and volunteer spotlights
• Manage and further cultivate the organization’s circle of high-profile champions and celebrity ambassadors
• Actively seek opportunities to be endorsed by external bodies that recognize sector excellence g. SDG Awards; Annual Voluntary Sector Reporting Awards etc.
• Develop and disseminate a steady flow of digital content across identified organizational digital communication channels that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
• Measure, monitor and analyze metrics related to digital activities and translate data into actionable strategy and recommendations on a monthly basis
• Create, execute and manage social media strategies to support the organization’s activities and programs
• Develop and maintain updated speaking points and key messages allowing the organization to comment on a range of issues that are relevant to community service, mental health and crisis services
• Assist with the administration of Google Adwords and monitor Google Analytics to inform website modifications/optimization.
• Self-motivated, computer-literate, detail oriented, and highly-organized with an ability to work well under pressure Experience managing multiple projects/programmes simultaneously that may have competing priorities
• Ability to write clear, structured, emotive, articulate, and persuasive copy Experience in print & digital media
Ability to meet deadlines and galvanize organization stakeholders to deliver to dates identified
• Knowledge of or a keen interest in the non-profit sector & contributing to impacting the lives of individuals in our community at risk and their most vulnerable
• In the process of acquiring post-secondary education in business, media, public relations and/ or communications