The Department of English is now accepting applications for Undergraduate Prizes! Please see the document attached below for the award descriptions, eligibility criteria, and application information.
The prizes are only applicable to students enrolled in the Summer 2021 and Fall/Winter 2021-2022 sessions.
Submission deadline for all awards: Thursday, June 30, 2022
The Lucille Herbert Scholarship
Applications are also open for the Lucille Herbert Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship will assist a LA&PS English major/minor student who proposes to travel to Europe, especially France, and who has taken a minimum of four English courses (including current enrolment). Travel can be for study, perhaps at a summer school, but not restricted to formal courses.
The value of this scholarship is generally $1,200.00 to $1,500.00.
Application deadline: Thursday, June 30, 2022
To apply, you must submit a letter of application addressed to the Chair of the Department, Prof. Tina Choi. Your letter should include:
- Your present level of study;
- A list of courses you’ve completed to date and grades obtained;
- Your current academic plans; and
- Your object of travel
The letter can be uploaded to the Machform (Click 'Apply Now!'). Reference letters are not required.
Guidelines for the Letter:
In the past, winning letters have ranged between four and eight paragraphs. Students should think about what they would like the selection committee to know about their plans or their “object of travel.”
- Why do you want to travel to Europe?
- Did you get inspired by one of the courses you completed?
- Where do you intend on going? (i.e., Which cities do you plan to visit?)
- What will you do in each of those cities? (i.e., visit museums, churches, libraries, or cafes frequented by some of your favourite authors, etc.)
For inquiries, please contact the Undergraduate Program Assistant, Michelle Hong at email@example.com.