Residency requirement: a minimum of 30 course credits and at least half (50 per cent) of the course credits required in each undergraduate degree program major/minor must be taken at York University.
Graduation requirement: students must successfully complete (pass) at least 120 credits which meet the Faculty's degree and program requirements with a cumulative grade point average of at least 5.00.
General education: a minimum of 21 general education credits as follows:
- 6.00 credits in natural science (NATS)
- a 9.00 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
- a 6.00 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken
Major credits: 42 credits including:
- six credits in history at the 1000 level (refer to Note 1);
- at least 36 additional credits in history:
- no more than 12 credits in history at the 2000 level will count towards the major;
- at least 24 credits in history must be at the 3000 and 4000 levels;
- at least six credits in history above the 1000 level that deals with history outside Canada and USA;
- at least 12 credits in history must be at the 4000 level (refer to Note 2).
Required Course: AP/ANTH 2300 3.00 Intercultural Training Skills completed before the term or terms abroad. Note: This course is considered to be outside the major (even for ANTH students).
Language study credits: at least 18 credits in a modern language offered by York University, including the Advanced I university-level course in the chosen language. Up to six (6) language credits may be taken while the student is abroad. Such courses must be approved by the coordinator of the relevant language section in the Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
If a iBA student is fluent in a language, he/she will undergo an examination to test language proficiency by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics. Students exempted from one or more of the language courses required for the degree must complete cultural courses related to that language.
Internationally-oriented credits: at least 9 credits of internationally-oriented courses chosen outside the major.
International exchange: at least one full term abroad as a full-time student at one of York University’s exchange partners.
Upper-level credits: at least 36 credits at the 3000 or 4000 level, including at least 18 credits at the 4000 level.
Credits outside the major: at least 18 credits. (Note: for the Honours iBA, courses taken outside the major to satisfy the language study requirement and/or the internationally-oriented courses requirement can also be used to satisfy the outside the major requirement. Students who are completing a double major or major/minor are deemed to have fulfilled this requirement.)
Honours Major/Minor iBA
The Honours iBA program in History may be pursued jointly with any Honours Minor BA program in the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies.
Note: in a major/minor program, a course may count only once toward major credit or minor credit.