CCY 3997 6.0 – Children’s Literature Research
This summer abroad course begins at Keele campus, where students will be trained in historical, literary, and archival research methodologies, interacting with books and other artefacts of childhood culture held at the Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections in Scott Library.
Following classes at York, students will spend two weeks in Dublin, Ireland conducting field work at various special collections of children’s literature and other literary sites of significance to book history and children’s literature. Field work will focus on historical children's texts to study how these archival artefacts shape and interrogate our perceptions of books, reading, children, childhood, and youth in past and contemporary times. Irish historical context will be a key feature of the course; students will consider the relationship between colonialism and the historical construction of children, childhood, and youth. We will also engage with current research in the fields of childhood studies, visual and material cultures, literary criticism, and post-colonial theory to examine how the publishing world, and reading and writing markets shape, and often reinforce, our perceptions of children, childhood, and youth.
Course DatesMay 8-June 1, 2023 at York and June 4-18, 2023 in Dublin.
Pre-requisitesCCY 2999 6.0A. This course is also open to 3rd year or above students in English and Humanities by permission of the instructor.
Program FeeThe program fee for this course is $2,200 CAD, based on 16 students (subject to change based on final number of students).
Included in Program Fee
- 14 nights’ accommodation in shared 6-person apartment-style dorms at Trinity Hall Dartry. Each student will have their own bedroom and en-suite bathroom, with a common kitchen and living room shared by the 6 students.
- Daily breakfast in Trinity Hall dining room
- Access to all facilities in Trinity Hall, including central recreation room, study room, laundry, on-site convenience store, and 24/7 security.
- All excursions and site visits
- Professor-related costs and incidentals
Not Included in Program Fee
- Return flights Toronto-Dublin (approx. $1000 CAD)
- Tuition payable to York University
- Guard.Me Travel Insurance
- Food and spending money
- Cost of Visa if one is required for your country of citizenship
For more information, students can connect with LA&PS Study Abroad Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).