The exchange program is administered in a collaborative fashion. In Ontario, the program office is currently at York University. Each university has a seat on the ORA Program Committee and appoints a coordinator. In Rhône-Alpes, the structure is very similar. A program office is selected by the participating universities, and it is currently managed by the Office of International Relations at the University Lumière Lyon 2. Each institution has a seat on the ORA Program Committee.
1. How many places are available?
There are sixty-five (65) places available throughout the Rhône-Alpes region. There is a pre-determined number of places for students from each university in Rhône-Alpes.
2. Who can apply?
Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the following universities, in all fields except dentistry and medicine, can apply: Lyon 1, 2 and 3, Grenoble-Alpes, INP Grenoble – UGA, École Centrale de Lyon, École Normale Supérieure, Savoie Mont Blanc, and Jean Monnet Saint-Étienne. To be eligible, you must be at least in second year, have a strong academic record and possess a certain knowledge of English at the time of your departure.
3. What level of English should I have?
The majority of the courses are in English, so you should be able to study in English.
The ORA program is not a summer ESL program.
4. Where is Ontario?
Ontario is one of the 10 provinces of Canada. Toronto is the capital of Ontario, and Ottawa, Canada’s capital, is also located in Ontario. Ontario is bordered by Quebec to the east, Manitoba to the west and the United States to the south.
5. Where can I study?
The following Ontario universities participate in ORA:
- Toronto: York University and Toronto Metropolitan University
- Ottawa: Carleton University
- Guelph: University of Guelph
- St. Catharines: Brock University
- Hamilton: McMaster University
- London: Western University (not accepting applications for 2023-24)
- Windsor: University of Windsor
- Kingston: Queen’s University
- North Bay: Nipissing University
- Thunder Bay: Lakehead University
All have very good reputations and maintain excellent relationships with the universities in Rhône-Alpes. In your application, you will make three selections; if you are accepted, you are guaranteed a place in one of your three chosen institutions. And we are ready to help you make the right choices to suit your needs.
6. How much does it cost?
- Tuition fees are paid to your home university in Rhône-Alpes.
- Scholarships: Regional scholarships are available. You can get information from your institution’s International Offices.
- The round trip costs about $1,200.00.
- To live in Ontario, you should budget a minimum of 700 euros per month.
- You can work part-time only on campus.
- Remember that the exchange rate fluctuates.
7. How long will I stay in Canada?
While we accept students for a single semester, we strongly recommend that undergraduate students remain for the entire academic year. The school year is divided into two semesters. In most universities, the first semester runs from early September to late December, while the second semester runs from early January to late April. Be sure not to miss the orientation sessions for international students, as well as the course information sessions that are held before classes start. Also, if you decide to rent an apartment, remember that it is best to arrive early. Examinations are over at the end of April.
8. Where will I live?
You can choose to live in residence or in a private apartment, or you can share an apartment with other students (roommates).
9. What are the benefits of studying in Ontario?
- You will receive credits for your courses when you return to your university in the Rhône-Alpes, but you will not receive an Ontario diploma.
- You’ll add value to your degree by gaining international experience and qualifications.
- You’ll enjoy a remarkable year.
10. Where can I get more information?
- Contact your university’s Office of International Relations.
- Get in touch with Ontario students currently studying at your University.
- Contact students at your university who participated in the exchange in the past, or who are participating this year.
- Finally, please feel free to contact us.