Emergencies, fires, accidents and injuries can occur at any time and without warning. Being prepared and knowledgeable about York University’s emergency procedures is critical before, during and after an emergency situation.
The purpose of this guide is to assist persons with disabilities and community members in becoming familiar with this information. Please read this guide thoroughly before an emergency. It could perhaps save your life or the lives of others.
It is recommended that you self identify with Student Accessibility Services (SAS), your professors or class instructors. We encourage you to discuss your needs for evacuation assistance with your disability counsellor.
If you require assistance in planning your evacuation prior to an emergency, please contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) or the Community Safety Department. In circumstances where an individual has not self identified but has a visible apparent need, community members may ask the individual directly if they require assistance in an emergency.
Persons with Disability
- Consider arranging in advance a designated person to assist you during an emergency evacuation.
- If you see someone wearing a fluorescent orange or yellow vest and hat, they are Emergency Response Wardens. Follow their instructions out of the building and to the designated assembly point posted with the Green Signage.
- Have a personal alarm that emits a loud noise to draw attention to your whereabouts.
- Carry your fully charged cell phone with you always.
- If you are working alone, make sure someone is aware and able to reach you either by phone or in person.
- If a fire breaks out in your room, leave immediately and close the door. Activate the fire alarm pull station nearby or call 911 and then Security Services at 416-736-5333, to report the exact location of the fire.
- If you are aware of the audible or visual fire alarm where you are, leave the building immediately through the nearest fire exit if you are on street level with direct access to the outdoors.
- If you are on a floor other than street level, follow the fire exit sign directing you to the nearest fire exit stairway Call 911 and then Security Services at 416-736-5333, to report your exact location (nearby room number, building name and address), and the Stair Designation & Floor Number posted on the door of the fire exit stairway. Stay calm and wait for assistance.
- For your information, placards indicating the Stair Designation & Floor Number are on both sides of doors at fire exit stairways. If you do not see a placard, the stairway is not a fire exit.
- Always ensure that any action you take does not put your life or the lives of others in danger.
- University community members should not carry persons with physical disabilities downstairs. This should only be done as a last resort in situations where the person’s life is in immediate danger.
- Notify 911 immediately then call Security Services at 416-736-5333, or from your office phone at extension 33333, if a person is left in a safe area and requires evacuation assistance.