- This event has passed.
CIFAR Solution Networks - Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for AI governance in low-middle income countries
October 19 @ 3:00 pm
The Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR), in partnership with the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) has launched a Call for Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for Solution Networks for AI governance in low-middle income countries (LMIC). A summary is provided below.
To support a solution driven network of international, cross-sectoral and interdisciplinary experts to develop governance solutions that could have a transformative impact on the development of responsible AI in LMIC. The solution could apply to any sector, including in government, industry, health care, agriculture, education, and civil society, and will focus on the development of defined prototypes, practices, and tools in governing AI.
The successful Solution Network receives:
- $60,000 Cdn. per year for each co-director (up to two);
- $25,000 Cdn. per year for each core team member (up to four) to support R&D related to the Network;
- Up to $60,000 Cdn. for each year to support collaborative efforts directly associated with advancing the network’s activities;
- Financial and logistical support for meetings (either in-person or virtually) twice per year.
The Solution Network should be made up of an international, cross-sectoral (public, private and/or non-profit) team and should:
- be led by two co-directors and composed of up to four additional members
- have at least one member based in Canada, and at least one member based in the setting where the solution will be applied (low-middle income country)
- include at least one faculty member of a postsecondary institution (specializing in data science, AI ethics, law, or relevant social science)
- include at least one member from one of the following:
- Government organization; or
- Public sector
- consider equity, diversity and inclusion in the team composition.
EOI due at ORS for full review
Monday, October19, 2020
EOI and fully completed and signed ORS Checklist due at ORS for required review
by 9:00am Thursday, October29, 2020
EOI due at agency
by 11:59pm EST, Monday, November 2, 2020
Full proposal due at ORS for full review
Thursday, January 7, 2021
Full proposal and fully completed and signed ORS Checklist due at ORS for required review
by 9:00am on Thursday, January 14, 2021
Full proposal due at agency (by invitation only)
by 11:59pm EST, Sunday, January 17, 2021
Please contact your Faculty Research Officer for information on their internal deadlines.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here:
For more information on this funding opportunity and how to apply, please visit the following link: