- This event has passed.
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada - Contributions Program
22 January 2021 @ 10:00 am
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) recently issued a Call for Proposals (CFP) under its 2021-22 Contributions Program and is encouraging the submission of research and knowledge translation applications that advance privacy. A summary is provided below.
Objectives are to:
- Strengthen existing privacy research capacity in academic and not-for-profit sectors;
- Generate new knowledge and support the development of expertise in selected areas of privacy and data protection;
- Increase awareness and understanding among individuals and organizations across Canada of their privacy rights and obligations;and,
- Promote uptake and application of research results by relevant stakeholders,
This year the OPC is particularly interested in funding one or more projects on the theme of “Protecting Privacy in an increasingly Digitalized World.”
OPC is especially interested in receiving projects proposals on the following issues:
- What are the confidentiality pitfalls of digital payment systems and how can these pitfalls be avoided or eliminated?
- What are the advantages or disadvantages of the new models of digital stewardship, particularly with respect to their impact on privacy?
- What are the confidentiality risks of health information collected in the context of telemedicine, particularly through private-sector platforms, and how can these risks be mitigated?
- What are the threats to privacy in distance education and can they be reduced?
- What dangers does the emergence of “surveillance capitalism” present for privacy and how can they be addressed? For example:
- Analyses of the impacts of surveillance capitalism on freedom
- Descriptions and analyses of the “human futures market”
- Studies on the impacts of surveillance on behaviour modification
- Lastly, how can we create more secure digital identification systems with respect to personal data?
Up to $50K for any single project and $100K maximum per recipient organization
One year (April 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022)
|Application due at ORS for full review||Friday, January 22, 2021|
|Application and fully completed and signed ORS Checklist due at ORS for required review||by 9:00am on Wednesday, February 3, 2021|
|Application due at agency||by 11:59pm on Friday, February 5, 2021|
Please contact our Faculty research office - firstname.lastname@example.org for information on our internal faculty deadline.