Our MA program is dedicated to further exploration of mathematics and statistics, and to the practical application of these methods. Alumni go on to further graduate studies (PhD level) or highly successful industry careers. Students interested in finance may wish to combine the MA degree with the Financial Engineering diploma.
Our MA program is available both as a full-time or part-time degree. Most full-time students typically complete the program within three academic terms (one year).
Note: If you are an international student (not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident), please note that we admit annually about five international students with funding to our MA program and we receive hundreds of applications. Thus admission for international students with funding is very competitive.
The MA may be completed via one of three different paths:
- MA by Coursework: eight half-courses (24 credits)
- MA by Survey Paper: six half-courses (18 credits) plus supervised survey paper
- MA by Thesis: four half-courses (12 credits) plus supervised MA thesis
All students must also complete a pass/fail seminar course. Students choose one of five different specializations (streams) for their coursework:
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Statistics
- Theoretical Statistics
- Pure Mathematics
Complete details of program requirements and course listings are available in the Graduate Mini-Calendar.
- Minimum admission requirements
- How to apply
- Funding and scholarships opportunities
- Graduate FAQs and Contact Info