POSITION TITLE: Events & Promotions Assistant - Fall/Winter 2022-23
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Centre for Indigenous Student Services (CISS)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $16 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Fall/Winter 2022-2023
HOURS OF WORK: 10-12 hours/week, Regular business hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm
LOCATION: The position is intended to work on-campus and those interested should only apply if they can be present on the Keele campus during designated work hours. In the event the university decides to pivot to a remote work environment again, CISS will determine how to best utilize staff to continue to run operations.
The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives;
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence. Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback.
The Events & Promotions Assistant will assist in the planning and organizing of special events and activities and manage the CISS social media applications. The candidate may also collaborate with other groups such as the Indigenous Students Association at York (ISAY) in organizing various events and activities. The candidate will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with Indigenous students, various campus service units and Indigenous service agencies in the GTA. This position reports directly to the Manager, Indigenous Student Services or designate.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan monthly social events
- Provide support to the Elder-on-Campus program
- Plan Information Sessions with campus service groups and Indigenous agencies in GTA
- Assist with other CISS events and activities
- Participate in major Indigenous events and activities, eg. National Indigenous Peoples Day, Orange Shirt Day
- Create promotional materials for events and activities
- Collect data on program participation for evaluation purposes
- Responsible for posting and sharing information on events and activities on CISS social media applications
- Assist with other projects and duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study)
- Experience and familiarity with York campus life
- Previous experience in a customer service environment an asset
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous work experience in event planning
- Experience in working with various social media applications as such Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated initiative and an eagerness to learn
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have strong knowledge of Indigenous traditions and culture, and be sensitive to the overall issues facing Indigenous peoples
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- August 29 – September 2, 2022: Mandatory Peer Training Week
- January 2023 Annual Peer Leadership Summit
- Monthly PLT Professional Development training workshops
*Dates subject to change; additional training may be added.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Friday, July 22, 2022 – 12:00pm
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical and human rights exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The University's vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date. For information on how York University is responding to COVID-19 please visit the YU Better Together website.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.