POSITION TITLE: Social Media Content Creator, Peer Health Educator
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Health Education & Promotion, Student Counselling, Health & Well-Being
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2 (Keele or Glendon)
RATE OF PAY: $14.25
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Fall/Winter 2021-22. Position starts August 23 2021.
HOURS OF WORK: 10-12 hours a week
As part of your work study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Peer Health Educators are part of the LEAP work/study program. They are responsible for advocating and educating York University students on a variety of health topics. Peer Health Educators are expected to work as a team to identify the needs of peer leaders, York University students and other stakeholders as it pertains to health and wellness. Peer Health Educators are tasked with establishing and maintaining positive relationships with on-campus partners to coordinate a variety of engaging programs and workshops across various campus populations as well as residences.
Peer Health Educators are expected to create and maintain an accessible and safe environment for conversations around health and well-being topics. They also support the development and attainment of personal health goals through a health-empowerment lens.
This position is designed to help develop social media content and communications to support the Health Education and Promotion team. The candidates must be well-spoken and have written communication skills. The candidates must have passionate and interest in using social and digital media content to empower students with health and wellness knowledge. As a Social Media Content Creator you’ll help to craft the voice the Health Education and Promotion Department, creating online or print messaging for the wider York community. You’ll also help to plan, create, implement and maintain the day-to-day communications on behalf of your peer health educators.
This position works closely with the Student Engagement’s Social Media team. The candidate will be advocate and voice for student wellness and work together with other areas of student life.
Other responsibilities include collaborating with other peer groups as well both on and off-campus organizations and agencies . Peer Health Educators work closely with the Health Educator & Training Specialist to ensure that all disseminated health information is accurate, up-to-date, diverse and accessible. It is expected that the Peer Health Educators will set a positive example by conducting themselves in a manner that aligns with Health Education Guidelines and the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities.
- Demonstrated Social and Digital Media Skills
We live in an increasingly digital and fast-paced world, and everyday there are new modes of communication and trends that change the way that we share messages to a wide audience. It’s important that you are up-to-date on these different trends and have a keen interest in the areas of social media (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat), web applications (including WordPress) and other technology
- Peer Health Educator Qualifications
• Current undergraduate York student, affiliated and involved in College life on campus
• Strong organizational skills, time management skills
• Excellent communication skills: public speaking and presentation proficiency
• Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take initiative
• Ability to work on a team and individually
• Demonstrated content curation skills (i.e.: managing a group’s Facebook page)
• Knowledge of health issues and challanges facing students
• Knowledge of York’s services and resources for students
• Skills in promotions and marketing
• Ability to collaborate as part of a team while also working independently when needed
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Photography and Video Production : Interest and some level of experience in photography and video production such as use of a DSLR cameras would be also be asset. Other production experiences that we would consider; sound recording and equipment, conducting interviews, script writing, storyboarding, lighting, shot composition, and digital video editing using software such as Adobe Premiere.
- Design: Part of this role would be assisting on creating visuals and videos that we can use to promote programming across a wide variety of platforms. Any experience with digital design software (such as Photoshop, Adobe InDesign or Illustrator, Canva) would be considered an asset.
A Peer Health Educator will have opportunities to develop and enhance specific skills in the following competencies:
- Interpersonal Connections
- Community Engagement
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- August 23-27, 2021. Training takes place typically 9am-4:30pm (30 hours). Full availability required.
- Summer training (at own pace) of 15 hours through online modules.
*all mandatory training counts as paid hours
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
- Updated Resume
- Cover Letter
- Digital Creative Assignment
This assignment is your opportunity to showcase how you would create health specific messaging for York students in a captivating and engaging way. The purpose of this assignment is to test your ability to use social media and digital media tools to convey a compelling story that would increase engagement on the topic.
You may choose whatever digital creative medium you feel strongly represents your skills (i.e. creative use of social media or video blog or YouTube.) We value “artistic” skill, but the assignment is being judged on how you would communicate with students through your creative skillset.
Creative Assignment Content: Create content on “The impact of nutrition on learning”.
You will be evaluated on the following elements:
- How does your content influence new perspectives on nutrition on well-being and learning?
- How educationally informed is it?
- How do you share your story or the student experience within the content?
- Is your content just “information” or does it include “engagement”?
- Your will be evaluated on the use of digital and social media tools
- You can use any digital mediums you like for submission (e.g social media platforms, posters, visuals infographics, video etc.)
For examples of other creative assignments, provided here are two examples where students were asked “How would you help student’s transition to York University”
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Friday, March 26 at 9:00 am ET. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered for review.
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, please try with the @yorku.ca e-mail domain.