POSITION TITLE: Student Engagement Ambassador Co-Lead -Summer and Fall/Winter
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Student Life, Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time Domestic or Full-time International student for FW 2021 academic year. Domestic students must be work/study eligible and must complete the online Student Financial Profile. International students must be International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) eligible.)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $15.00 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: May-April
HOURS OF WORK: 30-35 hours per week for Summer term, 15 hours per week Sept-April
As part of your work-study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience, you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Student Engagement Ambassador Co-Lead helps the team lead lay the foundation for student engagement to flourish. They have a strong foundation in digital story telling and engagement on social media and in person. They create and facilitate opportunities for students to develop their own initiatives that respect and appreciate diversity. They strive to build a dynamic & inclusive community at York University that opens doors to new experiences and establishes new relationships. The Student Engagement Ambassador Co-Lead is a key support for the Student Engagement Ambassador Team administratively, logistically, and by providing continuous feedback to the Student Engagement Coordinator to improve operations and efficiency of services. This individual must demonstrate exceptional organizational ability, thorough knowledge of York University services and resources. They have excellent communication skills, can delegate duties fairly and effectively, and can problem-solve matters with sensitivity and diligence.
The Lead Student Engagement Ambassadors job duties include the following:
- Assists the team lead in managing projects in all team portfolios and provides context, feedback, and resources to support them.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Student Engagement Coordinator to discuss feedback, direction, strategy with promotion, identify team needs, and advises Coordinator on improvements and new initiatives.
- Assist in coordinating all Student Engagement Ambassador related events including creating workflow charts, action plans, delegating tasks, and assisting with planning orientation and transition-related and engagement events.
- Assist with the building of the Student Engagement Team. Participate in future hiring, lead training for incoming Student Engagement Ambassadors, learning outcomes, team-building, and motivating the team throughout the Summer and Fall/Winter Term.
- Act as a liaison with other departments and represent the Student Engagement Team when the Coordinator is unavailable to attend
- Undertake tasks associated with coordinating a smooth and well-functioning team and kiosk (informational research, distribution of materials, referrals, presentations, create social media content, participate in online discussion boards, answer emails)
- Assists team lead to coordinate team staffing resources, and troubleshoot all daily operational details
- Be the first point of contact for student clubs and provide support to student club leaders in all aspects of running an organization at York University (including but not limited to conducting conflict resolution, advice on event planning and constitutional interpretation, and producing workshops that support club development)
- Provide information, support, and engagement to the general student population at York
- Offer support to the York community through the Vari Hall or virtual kiosk by giving the appropriate referrals to resources for faculty, students, and staff through an inclusive and accessible lens
- Lead student engagement initiatives to build community at York
- Mentor student leaders to build successful and lasting clubs on campus following university policy and procedure
- Process requests for club registration as well as table bookings
- Build connections for student clubs with other university stakeholders
- Create a community of student engagement and help forge partnerships amongst clubs and departments
- Develop and strategize active and engaging social media content that connects with the York community through material curated specifically for each online platform ( Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc.)
- Assist with any other Student Engagement initiatives and events when needed
Must be Fall/Winter 2021 Domestic or International Work-Study eligible
- Previous experience on an SCLD team is an asset
- Experience in student engagement initiatives such as student clubs, peer mentor programs, orientation, etc.
- Ability to provide accurate information and resources in a fast-paced environment
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Google Calendar
- Ability to work well in a team but also independently
- Should understand the basics of student club constitutions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable presenting to a group of student leaders
- Ability to understand policy and apply it to daily activities as well as educate others
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Demonstrate experience using various social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) as well as knowledge of social media analytics and comfortable being on camera
- Knowledge of York’s campus, services, and resources
- Knowledge & Experience with SCLD services an asset
- Must be available for mandatory training in April and August
- WHAT STUDENTS WILL GAIN FROM THIS POSITION
Through this position, students will develop/enhance their skill sets in the following areas:
- Interpersonal Connections
- Personal Success
- Experience Leading A Team
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- Peer Leadership Training
- Joint Training/Digital Training for Summer Peers
- Student Engagement Training for Fall/Winter Peers
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Interested candidates must submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Creative Assignment: Digital Story Telling on Social Media Training
- As Co-lead, one of your main responsibilities will include helping to create training. You will also help with the Student Engagement Communications strategy which includes Social Media. Please create and submit a training program that focuses on Digital Story Telling in Social Media on student life that you would use to train the other ambassadors.
- Feel free to be creative and have fun with this assignment
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, March 22 at noon.
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.