POSITION TITLE: Student Engagement Ambassador-Fall/Winter
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Student Engagement; Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time Domestic or Full-time International student for FW 2021 academic year. Domestic students must be work/study eligible and must complete the online Student Financial Profile. International students must be International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) eligible.)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 6
RATE OF PAY: $14.00 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: September-April
HOURS OF WORK: 15 hours per week
As part of your work-study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience, you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Student Engagement Ambassadors help lay the foundation for student engagement to flourish. They create and facilitate opportunities for students to develop their own initiatives that respect and appreciate diversity. They strive to build a dynamic & inclusive community at York University that opens doors to new experiences and establishes new relationships. Student Engagement Ambassadors job duties include the following:
- Be the first point of contact for student clubs and provide support to student club leaders in all aspects of running an organization at York University (including but not limited to conducting conflict resolution, advice on event planning and constitutional interpretation, and producing workshops that support club development)
- Provide information, support, and engagement to the general student population at York
- Offer support to the York community through the Vari Hall or virtual kiosk by giving the appropriate referrals to resources for faculty, students, and staff through an inclusive and accessible lens
- Lead student engagement initiatives to build community at York
- Mentor student leaders to build successful and lasting clubs on campus following university policy and procedure
- Process requests for club registration as well as table bookings
- Build connections for student clubs with other university stakeholders
- Create a community of student engagement and help forge partnerships amongst clubs and departments
- Develop active and engaging social media content that connects with the York community through material curated specifically for each online platform (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc.)
- Assist with any other Student Engagement initiatives and events when needed
· Must be Fall/Winter 2021 Domestic or International Work-Study eligible
- Experience in student engagement initiatives such as student clubs, peer mentor programs, orientation, etc.
- Ability to provide accurate information and resources in a fast-paced environment
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Google Calendar
- Ability to work well in a team but also independently
- Should understand the basics of student club constitutions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable presenting to a group of student leaders
- Ability to understand policy and apply it to daily activities as well as educate others
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Demonstrate experience using various social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) as well as knowledge of social media analytics
- Comfortable with digital story telling using social media platforms
- Knowledge of York’s campus, services, and resources
- Knowledge & Experience with SCLD services an asset
- Must be available for mandatory training in April and August
WHAT STUDENTS WILL GAIN FROM THIS POSITION
Through this position, students will develop/enhance their skill sets in the following areas:
2. Interpersonal Connections
3. Personal Success
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- Peer Leadership Training
- Joint Training/Digital Training for Summer Peers
- Student Engagement Training for Fall/Winter Peers
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS: Interested candidates must submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Creative Digital Story Telling Assignment:
- Submit a video in the format of a social media post. It can imitate the look and feel of Instagram (posts/stories/reels), TikTok or any other social media platform you are comfortable with and explain:
- What you love about York University and what services students should check out and get involved in.
- Be creative and have fun with it!
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, March 22 at noon.
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.