POSITION TITLE: Student Engagement Ambassador Lead -Summer and Fall/Winter
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Student Engagement Ambassador Team, Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time Domestic or Full-time International student for Summer and FW 2023 academic year. Domestic students must be work/study eligible and must complete the online Student Financial Profile. International students must be International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) eligible.)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $17.00 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: May-April
HOURS OF WORK: 30-34 hours per week in the Summer and 10-15 hours per week Fall/Winter
LOCATION: The position is intended to work on-campus and those interested should only apply if they can be present on the Keele campus during designated work hours. In the event the university decides to pivot to a remote work environment again, SCLD will determine how to best utilize staff to continue to run operations.
BECOMING YU: The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives;
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence.
Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Lead Student Engagement Ambassador helps lay the foundation for student engagement to flourish. They create and facilitate opportunities for students to develop their own initiatives that respect and appreciate diversity. They strive to build a dynamic & inclusive community at York University that opens doors to new experiences and establishes new relationships. The Lead Student Engagement Ambassador is a key support for the Student Engagement Ambassador Team administratively, logistically, and by providing continuous feedback to the Student Engagement Coordinator to improve operations and efficiency of services. This individual must demonstrate exceptional organizational ability, thorough knowledge of York University services and resources. They have excellent communication skills, can delegate duties fairly and effectively, and can problem-solve matters with sensitivity and diligence.
The Student Engagement Ambassador Lead’s job duties include the following:
- Project manages all team portfolios and provides context, feedback, and resources to support them.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Student Engagement Coordinator to discuss feedback, direction, strategy, identify team needs, and advises Coordinator on improvements and new initiatives.
- Assist the Student Engagement Coordinator in scheduling shifts for the Student Engagement Team on a termly basis. Troubleshoot any scheduling conflicts and absences from the team.
- Coordinate all on-site supervision, setup, and the daily flow of the kiosk space and the Student Engagement Ambassador Room.
- Coordinate all Student Engagement Ambassador related events including creating workflow charts, action plans, delegating tasks, and assisting with planning orientation and transition-related events.
- Assist with the building of the Student Engagement Team. Participate in future hiring, lead training for incoming Student Engagement Ambassadors, learning outcomes, team-building, and motivating the team throughout the Summer and Fall/Winter Term.
- Act as the liaison with other departments and represent the Student Engagement Team when the Coordinator is unavailable to attend
- Undertake tasks associated with coordinating a smooth and well-functioning team and kiosk (informational research, distribution of materials, referrals, presentations, create social media content, participate in online discussion boards, answer emails)
- Prepare weekly updates on kiosk statistics and inform the Student Engagement Coordinator
- Advise the Student Engagement Coordinator on stock levels of resources in the kiosk, coordinate team staffing resources, and troubleshoot all daily operational details
- Coordinate weekly payroll for the Student Engagement Ambassador Team that is to be submitted in a timely manner
- Provide information, support, and engagement to the general student population at York
- Offer support to the York community through the Vari Hall kiosk by giving the appropriate referrals to resources for faculty, students, and staff through an inclusive and accessible lens
- Lead student engagement initiatives to build community at York
- Support and assist Student Engagement Socia Media Lead to develop active and engaging social media content that connects with the York community through material curated specifically for each online platform (Instagram, etc.)
- Assist with any other Student Engagement initiatives and events when needed (including club registration and tabling)
- Complete other duties as assigned
Must be Fall/Winter 2023 Domestic or International Work-Study eligible
- Previous experience on an SCLD team is an asset
- Experience in student engagement initiatives such as student clubs, peer mentor programs, orientation, etc.
- Experience using various social media platforms (Instagram, Discord, etc) and comfortable being on camera
- Experience in event planning and project management is an asset
- Ability to provide accurate information and resources in a fast-paced environment
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Teams
- Experience with Mailchimp, WordPress, and Canva is an asset
- Ability to work well in a team but also independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable presenting
- Ability to understand policy and apply it to daily activities as well as educate others
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Demonstrate experience using various social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) as well as knowledge of social media analytics
- Knowledge of York’s campus, services, and resources
- Knowledge & Experience with SCLD services an asset
- Should understand the basics of student club constitutions
- Must be available for all mandatory training in April and August
WHAT STUDENTS WILL GAIN FROM THIS POSITION Through this position, students will develop/enhance their skill sets in the following areas:
- Interpersonal Connections
- Personal Success
- Experience Leading a Team
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- Summer Lead Training
- Peer Leadership Training + Continuous Professional Development Series
- Joint Training/Digital Training for Summer Peers
- Student Engagement Training for Fall/Winter Peers
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Interested candidates must submit the following:
- Assignment: Team Training
- As the lead for the The Student Engagement Ambassador team, one of your major responsibilities will be to help ensure the team is cohesive and have the proper knowledge and skills to be successful in their role. With this in mind, please create and submit a training schedule that would be used to train the Student Engagement Ambassador Team.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, February 20 at 11:59am
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical and human rights exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The University's vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date. For information on how York University is responding to COVID-19 please visit the YU Better Together website.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.