POSITION TITLE: Web site and Social Media Assistant
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Atkinson Centre for Mature and Part-time Students (ACMAPS)
ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be work/study eligible as defined by Student Financial Services. https://sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs and must complete the online Student Financial Profile available at https://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp .
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1 summer position and 1 fall/winter position
RATE OF PAY: $17-$24/ hr as per Student Financial Services guidelines.
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Summer 2023 (May 1, 2023 through August 31, 2023) with possibility of renewal for Fall/Winter 2023-24
HOURS OF WORK: Summer term = 14-21 hours per week, typically 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. on Fridays). Fall/Winter term = 10-15 hours per week.
LOCATION: The position will be primarily an on-campus role at Keele campus with some virtual work scheduled to align with operational needs of the office.
The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities.
As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
• creating meaningful goals and objectives;
• recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
• identifying their competencies and skills; and
• articulating their skills and experiences with confidence. Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback
The Web Site and Social Media Assistant will support digital communications between ACMAPS and our target audience of mature, part-time and transfer students, including edits to web site, updating of central event databases, and generating and sharing social media posts using a variety of social media platforms (e.g., Instagram, Twitter, Facebook).
Mature Student Success - The Atkinson Centre for Mature and Part-Time Students provides a wide range of mature student supports, including annual Orientation events, the Mature Student First-Year Experience Program, peer-to-peer mentoring, and various student success workshops. We are committed to supporting the success of mature, part-time and transfer students from admission through graduation.
Under the direction of a permanent staff member the Website & Social Media Assistant may be responsible for some or all the following tasks:
- Plan, create and maintain engaging social media content.
- Support the development of social media strategies.
- Update websites with current and accurate information.
- Review and improve website functionality.
- Research existing trends and best practices.
- Assist with the creation of marketing and digital adverting materials.
- Ensure that all content and materials adhere to brand standards.
- Collaborate with staff and faculty to support website and social media initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to creatively write content to engage an intended audience.
- Ability to use social & digital media to effectively communicate or respond to others.
- Ability to meet deadlines and organize time effectively.
- Ability to update websites and social media platforms.
- Ability to learn and use a variety of computer applications.
- Must be enrolled as a York student. Previous work experience may be considered.
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
Relevant and required training will be assigned and completed as part of the working hours of the job.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
Applicants must provide (via upload on the application form) an up-to-date resume and cover letter outlining their interest in this specific role.
Additionally, submission of a portfolio of any previous web site or social media work would be an asset.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Application closing date is February 28, 2023
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all employees to comply with provisions regarding masking, vaccination, and daily health screening as outlined on the Better Together web site. At the time of the writing of this positions, York strongly encourages masking, vaccination and daily health screening using YU Screen. These provisions, guidelines and any requirements are subject to change from time to time in accordance with Public Health directives. For further details, please click on: https://www.yorku.ca/bettertogether/
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.