UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Student Organizations, Student Community & Leadership Development
International students must be International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) eligible.
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1 position Summer and Fall/Winter
RATE OF PAY: $17 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: May 2023 to April 2024
HOURS OF WORK: Summer term = 34 hours per week. Fall/Winter term = 10-15 hours per week.
LOCATION: The position is intended to work on-campus and those interested should only apply if they can be present on the Keele campus during designated work hours. In the event the university decides to pivot to a remotework environment again, SCLD will determine how to best utilize staff to continue to run operations.
BECOMING YU: The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance, and mentorship.Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevantdepartment/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives.
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic, and professional experiences.
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence. Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Lead Student Organization Ambassador will help lay the foundation for student engagement to flourish. They will support opportunities for students to develop their own initiatives that respect andappreciate diversity. They will strive to build a dynamic & inclusive community at York University that opens doors to newexperiences and establishes new relationships. The Lead Student Organization Ambassador will provide support tostudent club leaders in all aspects of running an organization at York University. Their job duties include the following:
- Be a first point of contact for student clubs and provide them with support that leads to their success
- Mentor student leaders to build successful and lasting clubs on campus
- Process requests for club registration
- Interpret University policy and procedure
- Provide advice on developing club constitutions and other relevant documentation
- Process requests for clubs to promote themselves using SCLD resources such as Tabling and LCDScreens
- Process Club funding requests and work with campus partners to promote other funding opportunities
- Support student levy organization communications
- Build connections for student clubs with other university stakeholders
- Create a community of student engagement and help forge partnerships amongst clubs anddepartments
- Must be Fall/Winter 2023 Domestic or International Work-Study eligible
- Experience in student engagement initiatives such as student clubs, peer mentor programs, orientation, etc.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Google Calendar
- Ability to work well in a team but also independently
- Should understand the basics of student club constitutions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable presenting to a group of student leaders
- Ability to understand policy and apply it to daily activities as well as educate others
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Knowledge & Experience with SCLD services an asset
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- April/May – Peer Leadership Training
- August – Joint Training for Fall/Winter Peers
- January 2024 - Annual Peer Leadership Summit
- Monthly PLT Professional Development training workshops
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
Interested candidates must submit the following:
- PowerPoint Presentation:
- Submit a PPT presentation on the following:
- What you love about York University (make sure to include all the things you areinvolved in!)
- Why should students get involved?
- Be creative and have fun with it!
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, February 20 at 12pm PLEASE NOTE:
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a
- @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical and human rights exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The University's vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date. For information on how York University is responding to COVID-19 please visit the YU Better Together website.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women,persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusiveenvironment.York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you requireaccommodation.