POSITION TITLE: Orientation Director – Planning & Assessment
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: New Student Transition & Orientation, Student Community and Leadership Development
SOCIAL MEDIA TEASER: “Help new Lions join the Pride!”
ELIGIBILITY: Current or Outgoing Full time York Student. Preference will be given to Work-study eligible students
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1 Winter & 1 Summer Position
RATE OF PAY: $16.00
EMPLOYMENT TERM: WINTER & SUMMER POSITION: February 2023 – September 2023 (Start Date Negotiable) and SUMMER
HOURS OF WORK: Winter = 10 hours/week; Summer Term = 34 hours/week
LOCATION: The position is intended to work on-campus and those interested should only apply if they can be present on the Keele campus during designated work hours. In the event the university decides to pivot to a remote work environment again, SCLD will determine how to best utilize staff to continue to run operations.
The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
• creating meaningful goals and objectives;
• recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
• identifying their competencies and skills; and
• articulating their skills and experiences with confidence. Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Orientation Director – Planning & Assessment (ODPA) works for the Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development (SCLD) and reports to the New Student Transition Coordinator. The primary duties of this position including advising and support of the York Orientation Directors Association (YODA) during the planning and approval process for Orientation Week events as well as assessing the programming being delivered. The ODPA will act as a conduit between YODA and stakeholders across the university to help support Orientation Week activities and ensure a more integrated schedule of academic and social experiences. This person supports the values and the strategic direction of SCLD and always presents a professional image of themselves, SCLD and the University.
In collaboration with the Orientation team, the Orientation Director – Planning & Assessment works with the Lead Orientation Director and Orientation Director – Learning & Development to develop and implement training throughout the summer to assist orientation organizers and leaders. This include supporting weekly training for YODA, unit specific training for colleges and faculty, as well as a training conference for all leaders known as Orient The Leader (OTL).
The incumbent will also assist in developing and implementing an evaluation tool in conjunction with SCLD to measure the impact of Orientation. The various evaluations will include the activities planned for Orientation Week as well as feedback from attendees and volunteers. These tools will be used to assess the success of Orientation Week as well as continually build on the work from past years.
As a member of the Orientation team, this position will be expected to assist with the duties of the other members of the orientation team and to help ensure that orientation week is a success. The position will work closely with the Orientation Director team and collaborate with them on all matters regarding YODA. Furthermore, the incumbent will also be required to attend all YODA meetings and assist YODA members with their assessment activities.
The job will begin in the Winter term of 2023 and will continue until the Fall of 2023. From the start date of the position until the end of April, the position will work for a maximum of 10 hours a week. From May until the first day of Orientation Week, the Orientation Director – Planning & Assessment will work 34 hours a week. Leading up to Orientation Week as well as during the first day some overtime may be required, and the incumbent must be available. Following the end of Orientation Week, the ODPA will be required to wrap up any outstanding issues as well as submit a final report. Hours may shift from time to time to meet operational needs as necessary. Some evening and weekend work, in addition to regular work hours, will be expected as well.
- Knowledge of and experience with orientation week planning and execution
- Previous experience planning and executing training sessions and workshops for student leaders
- Understanding of the orientation process and its importance in a post-secondary context
- Experience interacting with different populations at York; students, staff, faculty
- Previously attended and assisted with Orient the Leader training
- Very highly organized
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates a very high level of motivation and initiative
- Capable of working independently for extended periods of time
- Able to trouble shoot and problem solve as well as make decisions, quite often independently
- Critical and analytic skills to support the review and assessment of Transition and Orientation programming
- Ability to work with student staff and facilitate a cooperative work environment while maintaining a professional etiquette
- Prior knowledge of Alf Lizzio’s 5 senses as well as general assessment techniques an asset
Preference will be given to students who have been previous members of YODA, have a demonstrated track record of sustained involvement in campus life, including co-curricular involvement in their respective College/Faculty, participation in student clubs and government, part-time or volunteer work in a service unit of the university and involvement in campus orientation or recruitment events.
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES: First Week of May (New Student Transition Training), (Peer Leadership Training – Date to be announced)
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
- Cover Letter
- Please prepare for the interview a 5-minute presentation (feel free to create a slideshow if you wish) that presents an idea to solve a problem you feel Orientation Week has. This can address any issue, for example- communication between Leaders and Orientation Chairs.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, February 20 at 12pm
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a
- @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical and human rights exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The University's vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date. For information on how York University is responding to COVID-19 please visit the YU Better Together website.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.