POSITION TITLE: Student Engagement Social Media Co-Lead -Summer and Fall/Winter
UNIT & DEPARTMENT: Student Life, Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time Domestic or Full-time International student for Summer 2023 and FW 2023 academic year. Domestic students must be work/study eligible and must complete the online Student Financial Profile. International students must be International Student Employment Fund (ISEF) eligible.)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $17.00 per hour
EMPLOYMENT TERM: May-April
HOURS OF WORK: 30-34 hours per week in the Summer and 10-15 hours per week Fall/Winter
LOCATION: The position is intended to work on-campus and those interested should only apply if they can be present on the Keele campus during designated work hours. In the event the university decides to pivot to a remote work environment again, SCLD will determine how to best utilize staff to continue to run operations.
BECOMING YU: The Work Study Student program provides on-campus job opportunities for eligible York University undergraduate students. Work Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives;
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence.
Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Student Engagement Social Media Co-Lead helps the team lead lay the foundation for student engagement to flourish. They have a strong foundation in digital story telling and engagement on social media and in person. They strive to build a dynamic & inclusive community at York University that opens doors to new experiences and establishes new relationships. The Student Engagement Social Media Co-Lead is a key support for the Student Engagement Ambassador Team administratively, logistically, and by providing continuous feedback to the Student Engagement Coordinator to improve operations and efficiency of services. This individual must demonstrate exceptional organizational ability, thorough knowledge of York University services and resources. They have excellent communication skills, can delegate duties fairly and effectively, and can problem-solve matters with sensitivity and diligence.
The Student Engagement Social Media Co Lead’s job duties include the following:
- Develop and strategize active and engaging social media training to ensure the team is confident in creating content that connects with the York community through material curated specifically for each online platform (ie. Instagram)
- Assist in coordinating all promotional and social media content to Student Engagement Ambassador related events including creating workflow charts, action plans, delegating tasks in addition to supporting team lead in in tasks associated with coordinating a smooth and well-functioning team (informational research, distribution of materials, referrals, presentations, create social media content, participate in online discussion boards, answer emails)
- Assists the team lead in managing projects in all team portfolios and provides context, feedback, and resources to support them.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Student Engagement Coordinator to discuss feedback, direction, strategy with promotion, identify team needs, and advises Coordinator on improvements and new initiatives.
- Offer support and engagement to the York community in person through the Vari Hall Kiosk, or virtually (ie, social media) by giving the appropriate referrals to resources for faculty, students, and staff through an inclusive and accessible lens
- Assist with the building of the Student Engagement Team. Participate in future hiring, lead training for incoming Student Engagement Ambassadors, learning outcomes, team-building, and motivating the team throughout the Summer and Fall/Winter Term.
- Act as a liaison with other departments and represent the Student Engagement Team when the Coordinator is unavailable to attend
- Assists team lead to coordinate team staffing resources, and troubleshoot all daily operational details
- Lead and support student engagement initiatives to build community at York
- Assist with any other Student Engagement initiatives and events when needed (including Process requests for club registration as well as table bookings)
- Complete other duties as assigned
Must be Fall/Winter 2023 Domestic or International Work-Study eligible
- Demonstrate experience using various social media platforms (Instagram, Discord, etc.) as well as knowledge of social media analytics and comfortable being on camera
- Previous experience on an SCLD team is an asset
- Experience in student engagement initiatives such as student clubs, peer mentor programs, orientation, etc.
- Ability to provide accurate information and resources in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with MailChimp, Word press, Canva, and video editing platforms is an asset
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Teams
- Ability to work well in a team but also independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand policy and apply it to daily activities as well as educate others
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Knowledge of York’s campus, services, and resources
- Knowledge & Experience with SCLD services an asset
- Should understand the basics of student club constitutions
- Must be available for all mandatory training in April and August
WHAT STUDENTS WILL GAIN FROM THIS POSITION Through this position, students will develop/enhance their skill sets in the following areas:
- Interpersonal Connections
- Personal Success
- Experience Leading a Team
MANDATORY TRAINING DATES:
- Summer Lead Training
- Peer Leadership Training + Continuous Professional Development Series
- Joint Training/Digital Training for Summer Peers
- ALL Student Engagement Training (throughout summer and F/W school year)
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Interested candidates must submit the following:
- Social Media Training
- As Student Engagement Social Media Co Lead, one of your main responsibilities will include helping to create training. You will also help with the Student Engagement Communications strategy which includes Social Media. Please create and submit a training program that focuses on Digital Story Telling in Social Media on student life that you would use to train the other ambassadors to create fun and engaging stories for the York University population.
- Be creative and have fun with this assignment
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Monday, February 20 at 11:59am
- Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
- All applicants must submit their application using a @my.yorku.ca or if unpermitted, a @yorku.ca e-mail domain.
NOTE: York University requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical and human rights exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The University's vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date. For information on how York University is responding to COVID-19 please visit the YU Better Together website.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.