|Topic:||University Grounds and Physical Facilities|
Description: Has associated policy
Persons wishing to bring firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosive substances on lands or premises which are leased, owned, operated or otherwise controlled by York University may request permission to do so as follows:
For Academic Purposes:
1. If the firearm, weapon, ammunition or explosive substance is being brought on to University premises for use in research or teaching, permission to do so may be requested from the Dean of the Faculty in which the teaching and/or research is taking place, or from the Associate Vice President, Research in the case of work being done under an award or grant.
For Other Purposes:
2. If the firearm, weapon, ammunition or explosive substance is being brought on to University premises for other than academic purposes, permission to do so may be requested from the Vice President (Institutional Affairs) through the Executive Director, Department of Safety, Security and Parking.
Form of Request:
3. All requests will be made in writing and include, among other things:
- proof of ownership and registration of any firearms,
- copies of such other permits or documents as may be required by law from time to time,
- a detailed statement of the purpose of the request and the use to which the weapon or material will be put, including information as to when and for what purpose the firearms or weapons will be fired, and how and where the material will be stored.
- such evidence as can be provided as to the experience and expertise of the applicant in using or handling the weapon or material.
4. The University shall be free to either give or withhold the permission being requested, or to impose such conditions on its permission as it determines are appropriate in the circumstances.
5. It shall be a condition of any permission granted that the applicant sign an undertaking and indemnity in the form attached hereto (or as may be amended from time to time).
|Legislative History:||Approved by UEC: 1995/03/06; Approved by BPC: 1995/04/04; Date Effective: 1995/04/04|