|Topic:||Employees, Employment and Workplace|
|Approval Authority:||Board of Governors|
|Effective Date:||13 May 1991|
|Last Revised:||03 May 2022|
This policy is intended to illustrate the University's commitment to developing and fostering a healthy and safe working environment for all Community members.
Healthy workplace: Is one that actively works to: (1) prevent harm to worker physical and psychological health and safety, (2) promote physical and psychological well-being.
York University is committed to the health, safety and well-being of all community members (staff, faculty, students, contractors, and visitors). The University recognizes the interdependence between a healthy workplace and employee engagement and further, between employee and student engagement / academic excellence. The University applies a holistic approach to create a healthy workplace that focuses on physical and psychological safety and well-being.
The University endeavours to provide a hazard free environment and minimize risks by adherence to all relevant legislation, and through the development and implementation of additional internal standards, programs and procedures.
The University strives to create a psychologically healthy and safe workplace, which promotes employees’ psychological well-being and actively works to prevent harm to employee psychological health.
To this end, York University requires that health and safety be a primary objective in every area of operation and that all persons utilizing University premises comply with procedures, regulations and standards relating to health and safety.
The University also recognizes the importance of engaging individuals in health and safety initiatives through:
- The provision of fulsome education and training to increase knowledge and awareness
- The work of the Joint Health and Safety Committees
- The enactment of the internal responsibility system such that everyone, regardless of role, plays an important part in creating and maintaining a healthy workplace
4. Shared Responsibility
York University recognizes the roles that all Community Members play in promoting, creating and maintaining a healthy workplace.
All community members will:
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of a healthy workplace where identified risks are either eliminated or controlled
- Follow established health and safety procedures
- Report workplace hazards, incidents, and health and safety concerns to the appropriate party (i.e., Manager, Human Resources, Campus Security, etc.)
- Participate in required health and safety training
Senior Leadership will:
- Support the effective administration of healthy workplace programs and initiatives
- Provide leadership by creating, supporting and sustaining a healthy workplace
- Integrate healthy workplace culture and practices into daily activities
Supervisors (as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act) will:
- Support and implement healthy workplace policies and practices for employees in their areas
- Provide employees with procedures, training and supervision required to work safely as well as equipment and materials that protect them from workplace hazards
- Investigate all workplace safety related incidents reported to them and respond to all health and safety concerns brought forward
- Implement corrective actions in response to identified hazards
- Evaluate the effectiveness of control measures implemented and make necessary changes for continual improvement
Human Resources Department will:
- Develop and administer healthy workplace policies and programs
- Provide advice, guidance and subject matter expertise to the University on creating and maintaining a healthy workplace
- Act as the chief resource relating to occupational health and safety regulatory matters
Joint Health and Safety Committees (JHSCs) will:
- Participate in consultations and provide input during the review of the Healthy Workplace Policy.
- Conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with health and safety procedures outlined within their respective area (e.g., Faculty). Failure to do so may be considered a breach of the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Commercial Tenants and Contractors will:
- Conduct their business in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, and any other applicable legislation. The University will make its commercial tenants and contractors aware of its Healthy Workplace Policy, and accompanying requirements
- Follow York University specific guidelines and procedures as prescribed in the contract/agreement
This Policy is promulgated by the Board of Governors and the administration thereof is delegated to the Vice-President Equity, People and Culture.
Failure to abide by this policy or the requirements, regulations, standards or procedures contemplated herein will result in appropriate discipline or sanctions.
This policy shall be reviewed at least annually.
|Legislative History:||Approved by UEC: 1996/09/16; Approved by the Board of Governors: 1991/05/13; Re-Approved by the Board of Governors: 1992/10/26; 1993/10/18, 1995/04/10; 1996/10/07; 1997/03/03; 1998/01/26; Approved and Revised by Board Audit Committee: 1998/12/08; Approved by the Board of Governors: 1998/12/14, Re-Approved by the Board of Governors: 1999/12/06, 2001/06/25, 2002/04/29; 2003/04/28; 2004/04/26; 2005/05/02; 2006/05/01; 2007/04/30; 2008/06/23; 2009/06/23; 2010/06/21; 2011/06/20; 2012/06/25; 2013/06/24; Revised and approved by the Board Governance and Human Resources Committee: 2014/05/26; Re-approved by the Board of Governors: 2014/06/23; 2015/06/22; Revised and approved by the Board Governance and Human Resources Committee: 2016/05/02; Re-approved by the Board of Governors: 2016/05/03; Name change and revisions approved by the Board Governance and Human Resources Committee: 2017/05/01 and re-approved by the Board of Governors: 2017/05/02; Re-approved by the Board of Governors: 2018/05/01; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2019/04/30; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2020/05/05; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2021/05/04; Editorial revisions re-approved by the Board of Governors 2022/05/03; Amendments approved by the Board of Governors 2023/05/02 Date Effective: 1991/05/13; This policy must be approved annually by the Board of Governors.|
|Date of Next Review:||May 2024|
|Related Policies, Procedures and Guidelines:|