|Topic:||Academic Standards, Grades, Conduct of Examinations|
|Last Revised:||June 24, 2021|
- (a) Students may repeat a passed or failed course twice for academic degree or certificate credit, for a maximum of three (3) attempts at a course. Students should note that course availability and space considerations may preclude the possibility of repeating a course in the session they choose.
- (b) When a student is allowed to repeat a course for academic degree or certificate credit, the grade of the latest attempt will be the grade of record and the only grade calculated in the student’s grade point average (Major, Cumulative, Sessional and Overall). A course shall be credited only once towards satisfaction of degree or certificate academic credit requirements.
- (c) The record of each attempt will appear on the student’s transcript, with the prior attempt(s) designated as ‘No Credit Retained’. The grade awarded in the prior attempts will continue to appear on the transcript beside the NCR designation but will not be included in the calculation of the student’s grade point average.
- (d) The restrictions regarding repeating a passed or failed course also apply to cross listed courses and course credit exclusions count as a course repeat and are subject to (c) above.
- (e) Students who have been conferred a degree may repeat courses counted towards their degree thereafter as a Non-Degree Student. Such courses will have no impact on the student’s completed degree program or the grade point average on record.
- The above items do not apply to graduate degree or diploma programs, the BEd degree program in the Faculty of Education, the JD degree program in the Osgoode Hall Law School, or the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) degree programs.
- The above items do not apply to practicum courses offered in the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree program.
 In the context of this policy, “repeat” is defined as a subsequent enrolment in the course.
 “Attempt” is defined as a completed course for which a final grade has been recorded.
|Legislative History:||Approved by Senate: 1998/06/25; Amended: 2002/05/23 and 2004/06/24; Date Effective: September 2004 and June 26, 2008; Amended 2016/02/28 (Effective Fall/Winter 2016-2017); Amended 2021/06/24 (Effective Fall/Winter 2021-2022)|