|Topic:||Employees, Employment and Workplace|
|Approval Authority:||Board of Governors|
|Approval Date:||February 22, 2010|
|Effective Date:||01 March 2010|
|Last Revised:||03 May 2022|
Description: Describes workplace violence and the University's commitment to protect its workers from workplace violence.
This policy is intended to protect all persons working for York University including but not limited to students, faculty, staff, and volunteers.
The term, “workplace violence” means:
- the exercise of physical force by a person against a worker, in a workplace, that causes or may cause personal injury to the worker;
- an attempt to exercise physical force against a worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to the worker; or
- a statement or behaviour that it is reasonable for a worker to interpret as a threat to exercise physical force against the worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to the worker.
- York University is committed to protecting all persons working for York University and shall take reasonable precautions to prevent workplace violence.
- York University shall assess, and reassess as necessary, the risks of workplace violence that may arise from the nature of the workplace, the type of work and/or the conditions of work.
- Anyone who engages in workplace violence shall be subject to complaint procedures, investigation, remedies, sanctions and discipline up to and including termination.
This policy shall be reviewed at least annually.
The Vice-President Equity, People & Culture shall be responsible for establishing a program, guidelines and procedures to implement this policy.
|Legislative History:||Reviewed by President and Vice-Presidents, January 27, 2010. Approved by Board Governance and Human Resources Committee February 10, 2010. Approved by the Board of Governors February 22, 2010. Effective March 1, 2010. Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2013/06/24; 2014/06/23, 2015/06/22; 2016/05/03; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2017/05/02. Name changed and re-approved by the Board of Governors: 2018-05-01; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2019/04/30; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2020/05/05; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2021/05/04; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2022/05/03; Re-approved by the Board of Governors 2023/05/02|
|Date of Next Review:||April 2024|
|Related Policies, Procedures and Guidelines:|