With the ever-increasing large amount of digital information available, the need for advanced Information Retrieval and Knowledge Management intelligent systems increases. This wealth of digital information presents a major data-analysis challenge for us. How to manipulate, analyze and understand large quantities of complex data becomes extremely important.
Our research lab is currently focused on the area of information retrieval and its applications to Web and medical health care. Information retrieval research involves techniques from machine learning and other theoretical models, together with extensive experimentation to develop more accurate, fast and advanced information retrieval and search techniques for a variety of applications.
Selected Research Projects
- Context-Sensitive and Task-Oriented Adaptive Information Retrieval (funded by NSERC Individual Discovery Grant, 2007-2015)
- Adaptive Information Extraction from Clinical Patient Records (funded by MITACS, 2012-2014)
- Analyzing and Searching Medical Data for Cost Effective Health Care (funded by Ontario Ministry of Research Innovation Early Research Award, 2007-2012)
- Context-Sensitive and Semantic Information Retrieval in Health Care: Search beyond Traditional Engines (funded by Ontario Ministry of Research Innovation and York University, 2009-2012)
- Computational Support for Data Mining and Adaptive Information Extraction for Applications in Health (funded by NSERC RTI Grant, 2010-2011)
- Finding Best Evidence for Evidence-based Best Practice Recommendations in Health Care (funded by Collaborative R&D Grant, 2007-2010)
- Context-Aware Information Retrieval and Semantic Text Analysis for Very Large Unstructured Data (funded by NSERC RTI Grant, 2008-2009)
- A Hybrid Framework for Discovering Biological Relationships from Large-scale Biomedical Text Documents (funded by Petro Canada Young Innovator Award, 2008-2009)
- Ultra-large Scale Software Systems with Applications on Healthcare (funded by IBM SUR Award, 2008-2009)
- What Do We Know? The Implications of Global Climate Change for Canadian Employment and Work: Regional Climate Change, Regulatory Challenges and Employment Transitions (funded by SSHRC, CIHR and NSERC Tri-Agency Grant, 2008- )
- Medical Text Analytics Tools for Search and Classification (funded by CIHR and ICES Collaboration Research Grant, 2007-2010)
- The Use and Future Use of Data Mining in the Practice of Management Accounting (funded by CGA-Canada and CAAA Research Grant, 2008-2009)
- Personalizing Web Search Using Data Mining Techniques (funded by NSERC Individual Discovery Grant, 2004-2007)