What is the Academic Integrity Tutorial?
The Academic Integrity Tutorial is designed to help you learn about academic integrity. The information in this tutorial is applicable for all subject and research areas and any level of study.
After completing this tutorial you will be able to:
- Explain the concept of ‘academic integrity’ and identify five different kinds of academic dishonesty.
- Identify the key points of York’s Senate Policy on Academic Honesty and the procedures and penalties associated with violating York’s Policy.
- Differentiate between what is acceptable use of another’s ideas/words and what is plagiarism.
- Identify several reasons why it is essential to document/reference sources of information/ideas.
- Recognize three strategies you can use to incorporate another person's ideas/words into your own work.
- Identify the elements that are required for a complete reference to a source of information and be familiar with referencing styles.
- Identify the usefulness of tools such as RefWorks and where you can get help at York from an expert if you have questions about whether you are using or referencing material appropriately.
- Understand the importance of seeking help if you have questions regarding any issue associated with academic integrity.
Before we start the tutorial, let's review How to use this site.