Career Resource Centre
The Career Centre's Resource Library located in Suite 202, McLaughlin College has a collection of over 700 non-circulating resources specializing in all aspects of career planning. The unique collection of career planning resources consists of books, directories and online tools used daily by students exploring career options, seeking assistance with job search skills development, and researching organizations, businesses and associations.
You can also use the computers in the resource area to check out online resources and tools to assist you in researching career options. The Career Resource Centre is open during the Career Centre's regular office hours.
Looking for information about careers (e.g. artist, accountant, scientist, or educator) or industry sectors (e.g. business, government, education, or health)? Here’s a sample of some of the popular career exploration books you’ll find:
- The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One, Margaret Lobenstine
- Great Jobs for Biology Majors, Blythe Camenson
- Aboriginal Small Business and Entrepreneurship in Canada by Katherine Beaty Chiste
- What Color is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual For Job-Hunters and Career-Changers, Richard Nelson Bolles
- Careers in Psychology: Opportunities in a Changing World, Tara L. Kuther and Robert D. Morgan
- Great Jobs for Liberal Arts Majors, Blythe Camenson
- The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People, Carol Eikleberry, Ph.D.
- Great Jobs for Music Majors, Jan Goldberg
- Careers for History Buffs & Others Who Learn from the Past, Blythe Camenson
- Great Jobs for Political Science Majors, Mark Rowh
- Careers for Environmental Types & Others Who Respect the Earth, Jane Kinney and Michael Fasulo
- Opportunities in Broadcasting Careers, Elmo I. Ellis
- Careers for Health Nuts & Others Who Like to Stay Fit, Blythe Camenson
Looking for resources to help you with your job search (including resumé, interview, networking, employer directories, and professional etiquette)? Here’s a sample of some of the popular job search books you’ll find:
- Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer, Susan Britton Whitcomb
- I Can’t Believe They Asked Me That!, Ron and Caryl Krannich, Ph.Ds
- Job Search Magic: Insider Secrets From America’s Career and Life Coach, Susan Britton Whitcomb
- Associations Canada Directory 2008
- The Canadian Student and Grad Job Directory: Canada’s Best Directory for Getting that Vital First Job
- Power Etiquette: What You Don’t Know Can Kill Your Career, Dana May Casperson
- First Impressions: What You Don’t Know About How Others See You, Ann Demarais, Ph.D. and Valerie White, Ph.D.
Looking for information about further education? Here’s a sample of some of the popular further education books you’ll find:
- Guide to Professional Programs in Canada: Admission, Application and General Information for Canada’s Top Professional Programs
- Mastering the Personal Statement: The Complete Marketing Manual for Law, MBA, Med & Grad Schools, John Richardson