Job Search Workshops
Have a specific job in mind but not sure how to get there? The Job Search workshops are designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to write an amazing resumé and cover letter, wow them at your next interview, make connections in your field, and find a position that meets your needs.
Registration on the Career Centre's online system is required for all workshops (you must sign up for an account on the system before you will be able to register for any workshops).
Kick Starting Your Job Search: Identifying Skills and Accomplishments workshopLogin to Register
Being able to identify and articulate your skills is an essential part of a successful job search. This introductory workshop is an important starting point for all other Job Search workshops.
- Identify the key skills that you have to offer.
- Learn how to articulate your skills through accomplishments that you can use in your resumé, cover letter and during your interview.
|Friday, December 6, 2013||2:00 – 4:00pm|
|Tuesday, January 14, 2014||1:00 – 3:00pm|
Resumé & Cover Letter Writing workshopLogin to Register
Does your resumé present your experiences, education and skills in a way that effectively showcases your assets? Do you know how to write a cover letter that piques employers' interest in you?
- Understand the characteristics of effective targeted resumés and cover letters.
- Learn how to strengthen your resumé and maximize interest in your cover letter by articulating your skills and accomplishments.
Please note: Once you have completed this workshop, you may book a one-on-one Resumé or Cover Letter feedback session.
|Tuesday, January 7, 2014||11:00am – 1:00pm|
|Wednesday, January 15, 2014||12:30 – 2:30pm|
|Tuesday, January 21, 2014||10:30am – 12:30pm|
|Tuesday, January 28, 2014||1:30 – 3:30pm|
Making a Great First Impression in Your Interview and Beyond workshopLogin to Register
Approach your next interview or networking event with increased confidence by learning how you can influence the first impression that you make.
- Gain an understanding of how to prepare for interviews and networking events.
- Learn how to effectively articulate your skills and accomplishments when meeting new people.
|Tuesday, December 10, 2013||11:00am – 1:00pm|
|Monday, January 20, 2014||11:00am – 1:00pm|
|Wednesday, January 29, 2014||2:00 – 4:00pm|
Polishing Your Interview Skills workshopLogin to Register
Put your interview skills to the test and practice answering interview questions in a fun, fast-paced environment alongside your peers.
- Experience interviews from multiple points of view - as interviewee, interviewer and observer.
- Get and give feedback on how to craft and deliver winning answers to common interview questions.
|Thursday, January 16, 2014||2:00 – 4:00pm|
Job Search Strategies that Work workshopLogin to Register
(Formerly the E-Networking with Social Media & Job Search Strategies workshops)
Want to be more effective in finding the job you want? In this workshop, learn about the various techniques for discovering and creating career opportunities.
- Learn how employers fill job openings and find out how to build relationships that support you in uncovering hidden opportunities.
- Discover how to create a professional online profile and maximize the latest social media trends to gain access to information that's not easily found elsewhere.
|Wednesday, December 11, 2013||12:30 – 2:30pm|
|Monday, January 13, 2014||2:00 – 4:00pm|
|Thursday, January 30, 2014||1:00 – 3:00pm|
Putting Job Search Strategies into Action workshopLogin to Register
Already know WHAT to do to conduct an effective job search but want to learn HOW? In this follow-up to the workshop, Job Search Strategies that Work:
- Develop and begin working on your job search action plan through facilitated hands-on job search activities.
- Research opportunities of interest to you, find out about trends in the labour market, and identify professionals in the field with whom you wish to connect.
|Thursday, January 16, 2014
This workshop will be held at Founders College
|11:00am – 1:00pm|
|Monday, January 27, 2014
This workshop will be held at Founders College
|2:00 – 4:00pm|
This workshop is specially designed for Masters and Doctoral level students.
- Understand the difference between a CV and a resumé and how each is intended for a different situation.
- Learn how to translate your academic CV into a resumé suitable for a non-academic job search.
|Friday, January 24, 2014||2:00 – 4:00pm|
Job Search workshops
- Kick Starting Your Job Search: Identifying Skills and Accomplishments
- Resumé & Cover Letter Writing workshop
- Making a Great First Impression in Your Interview and Beyond
- Polishing Your Interview Skills
- Job Search Strategies that Work
- Putting Job Search Strategies into Action
- Translating a CV to a Resumé
- How to Find a Summer Job
- How to Find a Part-time Job
All Career Centre workshops
- Career Exploration workshops
- Job Search workshops
- Professional Etiquette workshops
- Further Education workshops
What Students Are Saying
Resumé Writing workshop: "Before attending this workshop I was completely clueless on how to write a resumé. Now I am fully capable and assured that my resumé will get me to where I'd like to be."
Interview Skills workshop: "This experience has helped ease my fears and concerns. I feel more prepared and ready to start the interview process."
Job Search Strategies workshop: "Clearly shows how much better a relationship building approach is than the 'advertised' job market approach. Inspired me to get off my duff and get out there!"