Looking for a Job
Attend Career Centre employer recruitment activities
The Career Centre offers a variety of terrific opportunities for students and new graduates to connect with employers. Whether you're looking to find a full-time, part-time, summer or internship position — you won't want to miss out on these exciting employer recruitment activities.
Career Fairs are a great way to meet a range of employers in an exhibition-like setting to learn more about organizations and their employment opportunities. A career fair is a professional event and it's important that you make a positive first impression if you hope to attract the attention of a potential employer. It's recommended that you:
- dress professionally;
- bring updated copies of your resumé (some employers accept resumés during the fair so it's best to be prepared);
- be ready to discuss your interest in the organization and how you would be a good fit for a position there.
How the Career Centre can help you prepare for a career fair:
- Employers may choose to do a "mini interview" on the spot as they screen for potential candidates to invite for a more formal interview later, so make sure you've practiced your interview skills prior to attending.
- Knowing how to approach an employer, shake hands, make eye contact and start a conversation is a must. The Making a Great First Impression in Your Interview and Beyond workshop can help to make sure you're well prepared and feeling confident while speaking with employers at any career fair.
- If your resumé needs polishing prior to attending a career fair, register for the Resumé & Cover Letter Writing workshop.
Career Fair Resources
Career Fairs at York: The Career Centre organizes annual career fairs for York students.
Tips for getting the most out of career fairs: Tips from the York Career Centre.
Find notices for other career fairs in most local newspapers or on the external events page of the Career Centre website.
How to Prepare for a Job Fair/Career Fair: This list of tips from Virginia Tech will help you get the most out of your next career fair by letting you know how to prepare, what to bring, and how to conduct yourself with career fair employers.
Navigating a Career Fair: Career professional, Roseanne Bensley, provides another list of useful tips, including career fair advice from employers.
Other Employer Recruitment events at the Career Centre
Employer Recruitment Sessions are a great way to learn about a particular company and its hiring needs and connect with employers who can answer your questions about their organization’s culture, career opportunities, what skills and experience they’re seeking and how you can apply.
Industry Insights Panel Discussions: Get inside tips on securing employment within a specific industry - from professionals who do the hiring.