It is expected that those applying to the MFAc program will have demonstrated competence in business through a combination of work experience and academic study. The applicant background should include some competencies in accounting. To be considered for admission, candidates must have one of the following:
- An Honours Bachelor's Degree in Business (typically a four-year full-time program from a recognized post secondary institution, with a minimum B average in the final two years of study); AND a professional designation in Accounting, a law degree or another graduate degree.
- An Honours Bachelor's Degree specializing in Business from a recognized postsecondary institution, with a minimum A- average in the final two years of study. These candidates will be admitted at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. Internship experience in a business environment will strengthen the application. OR
- 3. Applicants with an Honours Bachelor's degree in an area other than those listed above may be considered for admission if they have at least five years work experience at a senior management level. Note that these are minimum requirements. Since spaces are limited and demand is high, actual GPA requirements may be higher. Students from foreign jurisdictions, especially those holding 3 year business degrees will be required to prove their degree is equivalent to a four year honours business degree. It is expected that all students will have a background in business and some competency in accounting.
The courses in this Program are seminars requiring active student participation and excellent communication skills. There are extensive writing and speaking assignments.
Proof of language proficiency is required for applicants who do not meet one of the following criteria:
- Their first language is English; or,
- They have completed at least two years of full-time study at a recognized university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction.
A minimum IELTS score of 7.5, TOEFL score of 600 (paper based), or 250 (computer based), or York English Language Test (YELT) score of band 1 or equivalent is required. Students who are ESL (English second language) will normally be asked to have a Skype interview to demonstrate English proficiency. The MFAc seminars require high quality communication skills.